Hot!PIC32 Curiosity - PIC32MZ EF

Author
K_Gas
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
2017/11/14 11:20:38 (permalink)

PIC32 Curiosity - PIC32MZ EF

Hi, 

I had some questions regarding the PIC32 Curiosity. I trying to use the device to use the device as a slave and have an arduino uno as the master. I was hoping to use SPI. I'm currently figuring out the arduino side. I was wondering where should I start to setup the board as a slave. I'm planning on having the board receive a message and reply to the master (arduino uno) and have an LED blink on the arduino. I'm not experienced at all with the curiosity so I would appreciate help. If there are some documents I should read or code I can look at I would appreciate the help. 

Thanks.  

5 Replies Related Threads

RISC
    • Total Posts : 4593
    Re: PIC32 Curiosity - PIC32MZ EF 2017/11/14 15:51:23 (permalink)
    Hi,
    How much programming experience do you have ?
    PIC32MZ is supported by Harmony framework and has a significant learning curve.
    If you have an Arduino on one side, why don't you use also an Arduino on the other side (with a 32bits to have more performance) ?
    Regards

K_Gas
    Re: PIC32 Curiosity - PIC32MZ EF 2017/11/15 06:07:48 (permalink)
    Hey, 

So I have some programming experience just not any with MPLAB and Harmony so I've been spending some time learning, but I'm going to just have to learn the framework to be honest. I'm an intern and this is a project I was given so I'm just trying to figure things out step by step. I also can't use an arduino on the other side since the clk speed of an arduino slave isn't higher then 4MHz, which is something I need. The clk speed must be at least 6 MHz and I also asked on the arduino forms regarding my project. I was given the Curiosity board since ti uses the same MCU as another board I will be using later on as the master (which I will bring it once I have it working with the arduino). 

My project breakdown is as follows:

Use SPI and have the arduino (master) send information and have Curiosity (slave) receive it and send ia message back, which will be seen by having an LED on the arduino blink. 

The next step will be to have the board receive the information and pass it to Ethernet, which will pass that to my PC. Thus, linking SPI and Ethernet. Thoughts ? 

I know its a lot to figure out and I might as not the smartest question, but I appreciate the help. 

Thanks. 
    BillP
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re: PIC32 Curiosity - PIC32MZ EF 2017/11/15 12:57:53 (permalink)
    Why not use 2 MCHP boards?  Once you learn enough about Harmony you can use it on both boards.  Then, you can play with SPI, TCP, USB, and serial connections.  Which one to use depends on the project requirements.
    K_Gas
    Re: PIC32 Curiosity - PIC32MZ EF 2017/11/15 13:14:18 (permalink)
    Well I kind of have to work with what I have. Just a tough situation to be in, but I gotta try and see where things go. I do appreciate your advice. 

If you have any recommendations on stuff I should read to do the following: 

Use SPI and have the arduino (master) send information and have Curiosity (slave) receive it and send a message back, which will be seen by having an LED on the arduino blink. 

Please let me know. 
    Thanks. 
    aks25
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: PIC32 Curiosity - PIC32MZ EF 2017/11/15 15:44:56 (permalink)
    @BillP is right, it will be probably more convenient(and a learning experience) to use to mchp boards.

-- Do you have some other project specifications on what and why do you need to use SPI to communicate at 6Mhz? A better understanding of this could help us to make a better recommendation.

--It is not trivial to set up and use the PIC32 Harmony framework, let alone the ethernet stack. Maybe an explanation of why do you want to use ethernet in the first place? Maybe you can do this with a simpler processor such as a pic24/dspic

Either ways, this is what I would do..

--Use the microchip loopback example and try to see how that is doing stuff. Harmony has it in \apps\examples\peripheral\spi\spi_loopback

--Have the arduino output SPI and use a logic analyzer to make sure it is outputting everything at the right baud etc

--Use the PIC32 to read it.

This is what I found in the harmony help file --> https://imgur.com/a/S6uBI
    Either ways, harmony is not something that is extremely easy to use as compared to the Arduino. So I would try blinking an LED first and maybe playing around with the curiosity board and try to understand how the harmony stack works.. Their is a HAL layer, application layer, middleware and a bunch of things.

Best of luck.

Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5