• AVR Freaks

Hot!ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it.

Author
mrpackethead
packet mangler
  • Total Posts : 967
  • Reward points : 0
2017/09/05 01:29:55 (permalink)
5 (1)

ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it.

I've been using my ICD4 for a couple of weeks now, and i've been finding that from time to time the ICD4 becomes totaly unusable, nothign short of a reboot of the windows pc its attached to gets it to come back to life.  ( restart mplab, or unplug replug ) does'nt make it come back.

As yet, have not pinned it down... I am using it with an external power supply....   

Anyone else seeing similar behavior.

16 Replies Related Threads

Jim Nickerson
    User 452
    • Total Posts : 6654
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 03:08:28 (permalink)
    3 (1)
    I have noticed Windows sometimes ignores a USB device after it has become problematic ( has quit responding to Windows in a timely manner ).
    Not only with the ICD 4, my ICD 4 sits awaiting better device support.
    Sometimes device manager will show an event relating to the problem.
    I have noticed sometimes plugging the USB device into another port brings it back to life, sometimes a reboot of the PC resets the error condition, sometimes a full power cycle of the PC is required.
    mrpackethead
    packet mangler
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 03:37:23 (permalink)
    what i've seen is similar, but only with the icd4.  I've nto tryed plugging it into different ports.   Its currently plugged into the back USB ports on my workstation so its a bit of a pain to do that.

Jim Nickerson
    User 452
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 03:42:14 (permalink)
    I have noticed it with USB devices implemented on PICS in my code when I have errors stopping the USB device correctly starting.
    I have USB 2 and USB 3 hubs so I might try all combinations.

RISC
    • Total Posts : 5572
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 07:45:42 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Hi,
    If there is anything like "Power surge detected" message in Windows (for any reason like when you plug any USB device into the PC), it (Windows) generally blocks the usage of the USB HUB inside. It means you must power cycle the PC to regain usage of the USB port.
    This will typically happen if you have a device (USB stick) with high current consumption close to the maximum port delivery capability. The current surge may generate such behaviour.
    Regards
    mrpackethead
    packet mangler
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 13:35:24 (permalink)
    I left an ICD4 connected to a device overnight ( in debugging mode ) and have come back to it this morning.. its locked up again.    

Halting...
    Target Halted
    A communication error with the debug tool has occurred. The tool will attempt to recover momentarily.
    A communication error with the debug tool has occurred. The tool will attempt to recover momentarily.
    Halting...
    Reception on endpoint 129 failed (err = -10121)
    Unable to run the target device.
    Reception on endpoint 129 failed (err = -10121)
    Reception on endpoint 131 failed (err = -10031)
    post edited by mrpackethead - 2017/09/05 13:37:37
    mrpackethead
    packet mangler
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 13:39:06 (permalink)
    ^^ unplugged it, and plugged back in.. Windows detecetd it..  Went to run Debug,  it when Yellow/Blue, then Blue, and then hangs again.

Jim Nickerson
    User 452
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 13:44:03 (permalink)
    Do you know what the ambient temperature and the case temperatures are ?
    dan1138
    • Total Posts : 3484
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 13:52:03 (permalink)
    4 (2)
    I do not have an ICD4 and not running windows 10 (yet) but there is an issue with the USB suspend mode and the PICkit3 when using windows 10, see: http://www.microchip.com/forums/FindPost/883106

My suggestion may not even be relevant to the ICD4, it's not a HID device but has a windows specific driver.

If it's possible you could try to disable the host power suspend for the ICD4.

I am sorry I cannot be more definite, just guessing really.
    RISC
    • Total Posts : 5572
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 15:04:06 (permalink)
    Hi,
    On the ICD4 webpage ( http://www.microchip.com/Developmenttools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=DV164045 ) there is a specific mail address to report issues. Maybe you want to send your findings 
    Regards

mrpackethead
    packet mangler
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/05 19:16:35 (permalink)
    4 (1)
    JANickerson
    Do you know what the ambient temperature and the case temperatures are ?

Its not hot here!   About 16C, and the case is only mildly warm to the touch. 
    Jim Nickerson
    User 452
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2017/09/06 06:48:13 (permalink)
    My Real ICE has been better since I uas it in in a peltier Cooled travel cooler, the 12v supply and the heat output is a pain but the Real Ice keeps working.
    SinCitiesSin
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2020/03/17 13:42:39 (permalink)
    Has anyone found a solution to this? I can not get any work done with this terrible ICD4.
    crosland
    • Total Posts : 1936
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2020/03/18 02:28:11 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I have had similar issues with PicKit4. The tools/firmware and or MPLAB X drivers are really,really flaky.

One essential step is to make sure that you set the USB ports to not suspend if the PC goes into sleep. Microchip do specify this in the docs.
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 18655
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2020/03/18 06:56:45 (permalink)
    I am not seeing this issue with my ICD4.
    What I do see it grounding issues with many microchip debuggers.
    Odd grounding arrangements and relay activity bother the USB.
    For the ICD2 I used a serial isolator.
    For the ICD3 A USB one. That had mixed results since the ICD three was USB powered.
    I got a USB isolator and an external power supply for the ICD4, but have not tried it yet to see if it improved lock ups.

Notes sometimes plugging into a different USB port will allow it to recover.
    Tim Cruise
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2020/03/29 00:27:46 (permalink)
    Do you run Windows 10 or windows 8?

You have to disable "fast start" feature.

rdnether
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: ICD becomes unavaliable after some operations - Only a reboot recovers it. 2020/03/31 19:14:59 (permalink)
    I'm having similar issues with my ICD4. 
    Every time I stop a debug session, make a change and then start a debug session, I get the following error in the debugger console:

Launching
    Programming target
    Failed to program the target device
    The debugger could not be started. Terminating debug session.
    User program finished

The build is successful, and I get the same error repeatedly, even if I do make and program instead.
    If I close MPLAB and then reopen, the problem goes away and I am able to build/program/debug the device.

I am using MPLAB X 5.25
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5