• AVR Freaks

ICD3 vs REAL ICE with XC32++? Trace functionality?

Author
mldion1
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
2017/07/04 16:54:10 (permalink)

ICD3 vs REAL ICE with XC32++? Trace functionality?

I have been comparing the specs for the REAL ICE and the ICD3, but before I make the leap to purchase one, I need to know how well these products can debug C++ code. Currently I have the PICKit3, and it has problems populating the watch list for C++ applications, and it usually cannot show the contents of an object, only primitives. Does anyone know from experience if this is also an issue with these more advanced debuggers? How well do the ICE's TRACE functionality and function timing analysis works with C++? I'm sure there's plenty of advantages of these advanced debuggers in C code, but when it comes to C++, if the REAL ICE is not much better than the ICD3, or neither is much better than the PICKit3, then it would be very helpful to know before I purchase.

P.S. I am looking to debug applications primarily for the PIC32MZ EF series
JasonK
  • Total Posts : 3388
Re: ICD3 vs REAL ICE with XC32++? Trace functionality? 2017/07/05 15:41:35 (permalink)
+1 (1)
You should be able to watch C++ objects with XC32++ and MPLAB X. For support, enter a ticket at http://support.microchip.com and provide the project. We would be happy to take a look at it.

With respect to the watch window, there would be no functional difference between simulator, PICkit 3, ICD 3, and REAL ICE. The main difference here would be refresh speed.

Instrumented trace works the same for both C and C++. You can insert trace statements into your code. We also support function-level profiling.

Jason Kajita
 Follow me on Twitter
http://support.microchip.com for urgent questions
mldion1
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: ICD3 vs REAL ICE with XC32++? Trace functionality? 2017/07/13 09:22:53 (permalink)
Thanks for the response. I have purchase the REAL ICE and will test it out soon. If I still cannot watch C++ objects, I will open a support ticket.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5