2020/09/12 13:03:34
spkdd
How are we supposed to do our assembly coding if we can no longer use mpasmx????
2020/09/12 17:19:49
ric
spkdd
How are we supposed to do our assembly coding if we can no longer use mpasmx????

You are supposed to use pic-as, but is no direct substitute for MPASM.
Your assembly source WILL requiring modifying to work with pic-as.
2020/09/13 01:22:56
spkdd
You are supposed to use pic-as, but is no direct substitute for MPASM.

Well, from what I found out just lately, this doesn't even seem like a viable solution at all.
From what I understand, pic-as isn't even a full blown assembler and it was only meant to handle mix assembly code embedded in C code, and not 100% assembly stand alone.
Not knowing any of this, when I was trying to get this set up, I couldn't make this work, and as I found out a few details, I ended up downgrading mplabx to v5.3 to regain the use of mpasmx.
I won't be doing any C coding at all, only 100% pure assembly, so pic-as doesn't look well suited at all for that.
2020/09/13 12:23:59
dan1138
spkdd
ricYou are supposed to use pic-as, but is no direct substitute for MPASM.

Well, from what I found out just lately, this doesn't even seem like a viable solution at all. ...

After porting several MPASM project to the pic-as(v2.20) tool chain I can say that it can be done but it is a monstrous PITA. One of the MPASM directives (DA) has no equivalent in pic-as(v2.20) and no viable way to implement the behavior with the available directives and macros.

2020/09/13 13:11:02
spkdd
After porting several MPASM project to the pic-as(v2.20) tool chain I can say that it can be done but it is a monstrous PITA. One of the MPASM directives (DA) has no equivalent in pic-as(v2.20) and no viable way to implement the behavior with the available directives and macros.

So it confirms it, it's junk and not a viable solution.
I'm not going to go that route. I downgraded back to mplabx v5.3, which still has mpasmx, so that's what I'll use, and screw those idiots who caused this blunder.
If at some point they do something else, an other even bigger blunder, that makes it impossible to use a proper assembler, then I'll just scrap using PICs and that'll be the end of it. There are after all, other choices.
If those guys can't understand that, then they'll find out in market shares drooping.
2020/09/13 13:46:58
dan1138
spkdd
If those guys can't understand that, then they'll find out in market shares drooping.

This is a lesson that Microchip has almost no incentive to learn because the tools from other chip makers are as bad or worse and the 8-bit chips that are comparable have awful implementation of the peripheral function blocks.

This is why this forum is so active with comments and request for help from other users. 
© 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5

Use My Existing Forum Account