Microchip has over 30 years of experience with creating integrated solutions for the aerospace industry. The new Rad Tolerant family uses Microchip AVR®, SMART ARM® and dsPIC widely deployed MCUs to produce Aerospace devices using proven and industry-leading technology (core and peripherals). Rad Tolerant devices are more robust against all radiations effects (neutrons, heavy ions and protons) to insure latch up immunity and non-destruction in critical environment. Compatible with the Microchip Studio development platform and commercial evaluation kits, the Rad Tolerant devices make product ramp up easy while lowering BOM and time-to-market.
- Space Applications
- Remote Terminal Units (RTUs)
- Propulsion system control
- Sensor bus control
- Robotics applications
- Mechanisms and motor control
- Power control
- OBC for nano-satellites
- Thermal control
- Angular sensor
- Sun sensor
- Simple instrumentation (particle detector, radiation monitor)
- Other Applications
- Critical avionics in flight subsystems
- Military & defense high reliability operations
- Nuclear & medical products
- Harsh environment exposed to radiations
- Benefit from the full Microchip ecosystem to ease the development phase
- Same pinout distribution as the commercial device, enabling use of dual-footprint PCB
- Latch up immune with SEL LET>60 Mev, SEU and TID performances characterization by functional blocks
- Ceramic Hermetic Package - Radiation performance improvement compared to industrial, commercial, or automotive version.
- Space grade quality flow
- Full wafer lot traceability
- Space screening
- Space qualification
- Plastic high reliability quality flow
- Full wafer lot traceability
- Full temperature range screening
Cost Effective Solutions
Most space applications are for LEO orbit missions, where the level of radiation performance is less demanding than GEO and MEO missions. Space equipment manufacturers are looking for cost effective solutions which limits the maximum development investment in order to reduce risk and time to market. The new Rad Tolerant devices from Microchip are the answer to this increasing demand.
Microchip capitalizes on its long Aerospace market experience and strong MCU/MPU portfolio to bring to the space industry AVR, ARM and dsPIC devices with radiation performance improvement and quality flows according to space grade and hermetic packages.
These Rad Tolerant solutions can also target more general aerospace applications like class A and B avionic critical cases where single event radiation impact is a key issue. A non-hermetic, plastic version can be proposed in this kind of application with the appropriate quality flow.
Other Rad Tolerant Devices
On top of MCU/PU, Microchip proposes some companions devices like memories and mixes signal interfaces (transceivers, switches, power management). Currently some NVM serial and parallel rad tolerant solutions are also available.
For any volume programs, look into overall microchip portfolio and ask for rad tolerant version, we will be pleased to assess feasibility or to propose an alternative part from our rad tolerant product roadmap.