- PIC24F MCU – 16 MIPS
- dsPIC33C DSCs - 100 MIPS
- Peripheral Quick Reference Guide
- 16-bit Technical Forums
- Functional Safety
dsPIC33CK Single-Core Digital Signal Controllers
Real-Time Performance for Motor Control, Digital Power, Safety-Critical and High-Performance Embedded Applications
Microchip’s dsPIC33CK single-core Digital Signal Controllers (DSCs) accelerate Digital Signal Processor (DSP) performance for time-critical applications. This family offers fast deterministic performance to address real-world design requirements such as high energy efficiency across variable load conditions in a power supply or controlling the precise speed and rotation of a motor. Complementing our dsPIC33CH dual-core DSCs, the dsPIC33CK family offers a cost-effective single-core option with the same high-performance core and peripherals.
These high-performance DSCs feature a dsPIC33 ‘C’ core with DSP engine, expanded context selected registers to reduce interrupt latency, new instructions to accelerate DSP performance, tightly coupled peripherals and faster execution to enable complex high-speed control loop implementation. The dsPIC33CK family maintains the simplicity of a microcontroller and provides a performance upgrade path for dsPIC33E/dsPIC33F DSC users.
Download the migration guide to migrate from the dsPIC33EP-GS to dsPIC33CK family.
Benefits of Designing with dsPIC33CK DSCs
- Precision control of multiple sensorless, brushless motors, running field-oriented control algorithms and power factor correction
- Implement highly-adaptive algorithms for digital power conversion applications
- Enables sophisticated real-time filtering to improve sensors’ responsiveness
- Eases Functional Safety compliance
- CAN-FD option to support automotive communication
- Live update of firmware for high-availability systems
- Scalable solutions with memory ranging from 32 KB to 256 KB and flexible feature set to meet the specific requirements of your application
- Maximum peripheral integration in ultra-small packages which lowers BoM costs and enables smaller form factor designs
dsPIC33CK Application Areas
With high integration of specialized peripherals, the dsPIC33CK family is ideal for motor control, digital power conversion, safety-critical and high-performance embedded applications across industrial, medical, automotive and consumer markets.
Implement high-efficiency, high-precision variable speed, constant torque and Field Oriented Control (FOC) motor control applications with the dsPIC33CK and its DSP engine.
- Analog integration, including high-speed ADCs, op amps and analog comparators, reduce BoM cost and board space
- Up to 16 channel high-resolution Pulse-Width Modulators (PWMs) enable dual-motor control and integrated PFC
The dsPIC33CK family is ideal for PMSM, IPMSM, ACIM and BLDC motor control. Specific areas within motor control where this family can be used are:
Automotive: Pumps, Fans
Industrial: Drones, Robotics
Consumer: Appliances, Toys
For more design ideas and information, visit our Motor Control design center.
The dsPIC33CK DSCs feature a DSP engine for high-speed control loop execution in demanding high-frequency power conversion applications.
- High-resolution 250 pS PWMs with the flexibility to control various power topologies
- Tightly coupled CPU, PWMs and ADCs to reduce latency and improve control loop response, leaving more CPU bandwidth for housekeeping and system functions
- Maximum analog integration including high-speed ADCs, DACs with programmable waveform generator, fast analog comparators and op amps
- Live update of firmware for high-availability systems, especially important for power supplies and other systems that can’t afford down-time to update their firmware
Specific areas within digital power applications where the dsPIC33CK DSCs can be used are:
Industrial: AC/DC & DC/DC
Power Automotive: Converters, Chargers, Inverters
Consumer: Wireless Power
For more design ideas and information, visit our Digital Power Design Center.
The dsPIC33CK DSCs are ideal for implementing math-intensive functions, such as DSP filtering of sensor inputs, and offer the right mix of features to address various applications.
- 100 MIPS core to handle real-time operations and system functions
- Scalable memory from 32 KB to 256 KB Flash available in 28- to 80-pin small form factor packages
- CAN-FD for robust communication with increased bandwidth
- Range of serial communication peripherals including UARTs, LIN, SPI, I2C and SENT
Specific high-performance application areas that dsPIC33CK DSCs are well-suited for are:
Automotive: Electronic Sensors
Medical: Diagnostic Equipment, Monitors
IoT: Nodes and Central Processors
The robust dsPIC33CK DSCs feature dedicated peripherals and functions to help increase the reliability in safety-critical applications. The dsPIC33CK DSCs offer operations up to 125°C with AEC Q100 Grade-1 qualification.
- Memory integrity verification with ECC and Fault Injection on Flash, MBIST on RAM
- Range of system monitoring features like Dual WWDT, DMT, POR, BOR and Fail-Safe Clock Monitor (FSCM) with Backup Oscillator
- Improved safety and security with CodeGuard™ security and Flash OTP (ICSP™ Write Inhibit)
- Features within peripherals to facilitate functional safety compliance
To learn more about how we’re enabling the design of functionally safe applications for automotive, industrial, home appliance and medical applications easier, visit our Functional Safety page.
dsPIC33CK Development Ecosystem
The dsPIC33CK is supported by Microchip’s MPLAB® development ecosystem including MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE). Supported by the popular MPLAB Code Configurator (MCC) tool, setting up pin assignments, peripheral modes and application stacks has never been easier, allowing you to bring your design to market faster than ever before.