AnsweredHot!USB Bridge not working

Author
kirby
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
2016/07/29 15:45:46 (permalink)

USB Bridge not working

I am trying to use the MBLAB Xpress product but the USB Bridge Tool is failing. I think the issue is the following, but not being a Java type, I am just guessing.

Caused by: net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: The resource from https://mplabxpress.microchip.com/usbbridge does not match the  location in Application-Library-Allowable-Codebase Attribute https://mplabxpress.microchip.com/usbbridge/ . Blocking the application from running.

It looks like the trailing '/' is the cause. Go figure! I am running on FC23. According to the "Prerequisites" tab, I have what I need.

Any suggestions?
Perkyguy
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/08/01 10:50:55 (permalink)
Gotta load up a Fedora (that's what you mean by FC23, correct?) VM to see if I can debug this.

When you say it fails, what do you mean?
kirby
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/08/01 11:15:10 (permalink)
Yes, Fedora Core 23. By failure I mean it pops up an error window that says "Fatal: Initialization Error: Could not initialize application. The application has not been initialized, for more information execute javaws from the command line." with the following buttons "Show Details", "Purge", "Java Console", and "OK".

When I do as suggested and run from the command line ("javaws /tmp/USBBridge.jnlp") it produces the following:

[kirby@auguste ~]$ javaws /tmp/USBBridge.jnlp
Codebase matches codebase manifest attribute, and application is signed. Continuing. See: http://docs.oracle.com/ja...urity/no_redeploy.html for details.
netx: Initialization Error: Could not initialize application. (The resource from https://mplabxpress.microchip.com/usbbridge does not match the  location in Application-Library-Allowable-Codebase Attribute https://mplabxpress.microchip.com/usbbridge/ . Blocking the application from running.)
net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: Fatal: Initialization Error: Could not initialize application. The application has not been initialized, for more information execute javaws from the command line.
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.createApplication(Launcher.java:813)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:532)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:936)
Caused by: net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: The resource from https://mplabxpress.microchip.com/usbbridge does not match the  location in Application-Library-Allowable-Codebase Attribute https://mplabxpress.microchip.com/usbbridge/ . Blocking the application from running.
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.ManifestAttributesChecker.checkApplicationLibraryAllowableCodebaseAttribute(ManifestAttributesChecker.java:420)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.ManifestAttributesChecker.checkAll(ManifestAttributesChecker.java:122)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.initializeResources(JNLPClassLoader.java:777)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.<init>(JNLPClassLoader.java:285)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.createInstance(JNLPClassLoader.java:357)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.getInstance(JNLPClassLoader.java:429)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.getInstance(JNLPClassLoader.java:403)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.createApplication(Launcher.java:805)
    ... 2 more

mamun
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/08/01 13:52:16 (permalink)
Hi Kirby,

I have tried to reproduce the issue, but could not in windows. Then I talked to the developer team, and according to them we only support the “real” Oracle JRE. Those users try to run the Bridge using OpenJRE or OpenJNLP, it turns out that those open JREs have problems with the codebase attribute. The team is going to take a look at this again, but it will probably take some time as we will have to test the bridge and MCC again on all platforms.

Thanks
Mamun
Perkyguy
Starting Member
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/08/01 14:44:25 (permalink)
Kirby,
You can follow the walk through described here https://technoref.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/install-oracle-jdk-jre-in-fedora-23/ 

I tested it on a Fedora 23 VM, and it loads ok.
kirby
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/08/02 07:49:49 (permalink)
Indeed, it works much better using Oracle Java. Thanks!
ebart
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/09/21 12:34:49 (permalink)
I have the same problem on debian 8 PC.
I have installed the Oracle's JRE and swiched it on (Oracle's JRE is now my default java)
but problem still exists. USB Bridge doesn't work. I'd like to ask developers if JRE is enough
or I have to install JDK? I used java-package to build debian packages with Oracle's .tar.gz archives.
java-package failed to build debian JDK package but it managed to build JRE package.
When I try to start MCC I can only download the USBBridge.jnlp (I see Download USB Bridge button
but no Start the USB Bridge Tool button). When I run javaws USBBridge.jnlp on command line
I get the same result as Kirby.
ebart
➥ Approval Pending
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/09/21 12:52:49 (permalink)
ebart
➥ Approval Pending
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/09/21 13:03:49 (permalink)
kirby
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/09/22 05:24:40 (permalink)
ebart,
While I do not know your purpose for needing the USB Bridge, I will offer the following for those, who like me, were under the mistaken assumption that the USB Bridge was needed for regular operation.

When you plug the development board into your system, it appears as a storage device. After you build your application, the browser gives you the opportunity to save the .hex file. Save this file in the root directory of the development board. This will then become the executing application upon reset.
 [n.b. I am writing this from memory! Please consult the Microchip documents for details.]
Perkyguy
Starting Member
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/09/23 09:50:44 (permalink)
ebart, I'm loading up a debian 8 VM so I can try and reproduce and debug this issue

kirby, the USB Bridge is used for most of the programming solutions like PICKit3 or the Curiosity board (PICKit-On-Board). The process you described would work for the Xpress Evaluation board, and you were correct that the USB Bridge is not needed for regular operation using this. However, if the other programmer methods are needed, the USB Bridge would be required.
Perkyguy
Starting Member
Re: USB Bridge not working 2016/09/28 10:18:21 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby mamun 2016/12/13 12:32:34
Ebart, I got the USB Bridge working using the JDK without grabbing java-pacakge.

Steps (I just ran everything as root to test things, so add sudo to everything)
  1. Download the JDK tar from Oracle
  2. mkdir /opt/jdk
  3. tar x -C /opt/jdk -f /path/to/tar/jdk-...tar.gz
  4. update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/jdk/jdk1.../bin/java 1080
  5. update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/jdk/jdk1.../bin/javac 1080
  6. update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javaws javaws /opt/jdk/jdk1.../bin/javaws 1080
  7. Verify we're good by running
    java -version
  8. If not using Oracle, fix it by running
    update-alternatives --config java
    and set to the new version (same for javac/javaws)
I got an error about canberra-gtk-module when I ran
javaws USBBridge.jnlp
, but I just downloaded that package to fix it,
apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module
(I had canberra-gtk3-module, not gtk though)

Let me know if this works for you
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5