AnsweredHot!MPLAB Xpress on OS X

Author
jverne
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
2016/02/23 16:45:57 (permalink)

MPLAB Xpress on OS X

It looks like MPLAB Xpress with the Evaluation Board doesn't work on Mac OS X. The board is mounted read-only, so .hex files cannot be copied to it.

The USB Bridge tool can see the eval board, but this doesn't change what happens when you build and download the target file.

Can anyone confirm this?
mamun
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2016/02/29 16:34:11 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby mamun 2016/03/23 10:20:52
Hi,

I could not reproduce the issue you are having. So far I have seen the Xpress board works on every single Mac OS X version including the latest El Capitan.

I sent you a private message with my contact information for further help, if you are still having issues. Please let me know.... :)

Thanks,
Mamun
stevehowes
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2016/03/01 02:59:46 (permalink)
If it's anything like it is on Ubuntu you can copy the files in a terminal.
ralphrmartin
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2016/08/02 13:08:43 (permalink)
Did you resolve this issue? I have exactly the same problem on one of my Macs, yet the same board works OK on another Mac with the same OS version. Very mysterious.
mamun
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2016/08/03 11:25:20 (permalink)
Does your Xpress board show up as Read Only?

I have tried to reproduce this problem multiple times, but could not. But one time I found if the USB cable is bad, it showed up as read only.

Just as a reminder you don't need to use USB Bridge tool to program the Xpress board.

ralphrmartin
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2016/08/04 00:20:56 (permalink)
mamun
Does your Xpress board show up as Read Only?

yes

mamun
I have tried to reproduce this problem multiple times, but could not. But one time I found if the USB cable is bad, it showed up as read only.

the exact same board and cable work OK on another Mac. It is very mysterious...

mamun
Just as a reminder you don't need to use USB Bridge tool to program the Xpress board.

No, but I need to connect to the board...
mamun
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2016/08/04 10:29:00 (permalink)
Yes it is very mysterious! I will talk to the Xpress designer team to see if they can reproduce and help with this issue. Could you tell me which MACs and which OS you are using?

Lot of people think they need to use the Bridge tool for the Xpress board, that's why I mentioned it.

ralphrmartin
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2016/08/04 11:51:49 (permalink)
Thanks!

Both Macs are running 10.11.6, the latest version of the OS.

The one on which it works is a MacBook Air, a couple of years old. 

The one on which its doesn't work is a Mac Pro from 2008.
capt_cpt
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2017/02/12 10:44:31 (permalink)
Hi,

I do have the same kind of problems than jverne and ralphrmartin :
- Xpress board was not showing up. That was due to some faulty cable caracteristics (working fine to charge an Android device, bad as a cable for Xpress board). Trying different cables has solved the problem, as well as MPLAB USB bridge malfunction on XPress board, as well as on Curiosity board.
- Using the right cable, I have now XPRESS showing on the list. However, it is on "Read only" status and I'm unable to write anything on it.
- As I have WIN on the same Mac, with Parallels running as VM, I have been able to write on XPress board from the Windows environnement. It worked then as expected. However it is rather tedious to have to switch from one environnement just for that purpose.
- On the Mac side, I have tried to change the "read only" status of the board, but I have no options available. XPRESS board file system shows different "formats" depending from where you ask, mainly shown as "FAT12".
- It looks like I'am having some USB hardware/OSXdriver pb on my Mac.

My question is : as I do not want to ruin the board, do I have an option to try to "reformat" Xpress board to FAT32, provided OSX will allow me to do that ?

I am working on a Mac Pro 15" 2009 running 10.11.6 El Capitan and WinXP running on Parallels Virtual Machine.

Thank you in advance, if you can help.

Cheers.
ralphrmartin
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2017/02/14 14:52:10 (permalink)
I already thought o doing this. You cannot reformat the board - it is a read only device!
gbarry
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: MPLAB Xpress on OS X 2017/09/16 21:25:02 (permalink)
There's something about these old Macs.  I've got the same problem.  The drive appears as read-only, and you can't drop anything onto it.  And by the way, it's now late 2017, and no progress.
capt_cpt I am working on a Mac Pro 15" 2009 running 10.11.6 El Capitan and WinXP running on Parallels Virtual Machine.

I've got a suspiciously similar Mac Pro 13" mid-2009 and 10.11.6 El Capitan.  My WinXP runs on VMWare.  More about Windows in a bit.

mamunJust as a reminder you don't need to use USB Bridge tool to program the Xpress board.

I got more than a little irritated with the notion that I didn't need the USB Bridge, and no explanation as to what I should use.  Turns out, I got caught up in a detour, because the screen shot in the quick start guide makes it look like there's a path between the compiled file and the IDE's green status buttons at the bottom of MPLABX(press).  When I clicked there I got taken through the USB Bridge installation, and while that was working fine, it said that my programming tool wasn't.

Well, the programming tool isn't needed, and neither is the USB bridge, asstated.  What IS needed is a working emulated mass storage device (or MSD)--that's what the dev board is supposed to look like when you plug it in.  With regard to that,

ralphrmartinI already thought o[f] doing this. You cannot reformat the board - it is a read only device!

The board is going to have a USB-enabled PIC emulating a mass-storage device, and you can be sure no one wasted time in the driver giving it the capability to rewrite its directory structure.  So, it's more of a case of the host computer and the device having to get together on this "write a file" service that it's supposed to provide.

stevehowesIf it's anything like it is on Ubuntu you can copy the files in a terminal.

This initially struck me as irrelevant.  But it turns out to be genius.  Between this and the remark about not needing the USB Bridge, I began to wonder if the eval-board-MSD just wanted to have a file written to it.  You'll recall that early on, user "capt-cpt" was talking about using the Windows machine inside his Mac to program the device.  So I woke up Windows XP over in the VmWare (Fusion) window and plugged the board in.  At this point, we had a little tiff about there not being any drivers for XP, but after I told it to just leave it unconfigured, I noticed a new drive appear in the File Manager!   And it let me create files on it!  I had write access!  And not just hex files, but whatever I tried.  Mind you, this is running on the very same Mac that won't talk to the thing natively.

To get to the point of the story, I was able to drag hex files onto the drive and they would program the device.  I had built one that turns the LED on, and another that turns it off, so I could get a sense that it was doing what i intended.  And no Bridge running, either.  In fact, once you have the hex files, you don't need to have MPLAB-Ex or even the browser open.  I discovered all it really does is wait for someone to close a (hex?) file and it will transfer it out to the board.  "Closing the file" included these tests:
 - Dragging a file from another drive and dropping it.
 - Copying one file to another, even on the emulated drive.
 - Copying a different file over top of existing one.
 - Copying a file to an arbitrarily-named hex file.
 - Opening the hex file in an editor and hitting save (control-S)

Also of note, the next time I plugged the board in, all the files were gone.  So apparently it's all done in RAM.

Posted for posterity, because I sure could have benefitted from finding info like this.

Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5