Pickit 3 connection failed

Author
conrad
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
2013/08/28 06:50:34 (permalink)

Pickit 3 connection failed

Hi,

I have built my first project with MPLAB X, compiled it and now trying to download with Pickit 3.

Connection failed.

I have looked up a douzain of threads on this topic and read about USB3 and other stuff, I cannot make a lot of sense of it.  Several threads on this topic from feb 2012 remain open.  I have also downloaded a pickit 3 program to use Pickit outside MPLAB X but it does not perform as indicated in the forum (under >tools, there is no option to switch back and forth between MPLABX and not).  I have also tried all the tricks of disconnecting Pickit, closing down the program etc, it does not work.
I have gone through many hundreds of pages of mostly very good documents but now it seems that I am stuck on a detail...

NB : Windows 7 64 bit, new pickit 3 bought last month, all downloads are from the last month.

What is a simple check I can perform to test my installation ?
Any link to solutions ?

thanking in advance for your help,

Conrad
post edited by conrad - 2013/08/28 06:55:30

12 Replies Related Threads

tom maier
    • Total Posts : 2116
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2013/08/28 08:30:32 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Cruising around google shows that some people were having this complaint about Win7-64 and pickit3. Looks like it might have been a pickit3 firmware issue from last year. What version of MPLABX are you running? The firmware comes with the IDE. Updating your MPLABX may fix the problem.
    EDIT:
    "all downloads are from the last month."
    Opps, you should have the latest firmware if the MPLABX was downloaded last month.
    post edited by tom maier - 2013/08/28 09:08:01
    prj
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2013/09/06 16:25:08 (permalink)
    Does the serial number of the PK3 show up in your project's property pages?
    bilko2
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2013/09/13 11:20:28 (permalink)
    I have the same problem Windows8-64

PicKit3 works with stand-alone program but not with Mplab X V1.90

Bill
    RISC
    • Total Posts : 4402
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2013/09/14 01:28:55 (permalink)
    Hi,

I have found over the years that there is a magic freeware that shows you all what you want to kow about USB drivers : USBdeview.
    It shows you which USB devices are numerated, their driver, the COM port number, the  S/N the USB version, class, VID, PID, when it was installed,if it is connected,...name it.
    I don't know though if this freeware is compatible with Win8...

But it you see a device with VID 0x04D8, it means it is a Microchip USB product, if you look at serial number and see the same serial number that is on the white label at the back of your tool, then you're sure the driver is properly loaded.
    For Pickit3 no driver is needed because it uses USB HID class which is native in most OSs.
    You may want to launch IPE programmer utility which installs at the same time as MPLAB X (look at your desktop). Once you launch it you should be able to see the S/N of your tool. If not it means your tool has an issue or it has the wrong driver (ICD3 / Real-Ice).
    e.g. for ICD3 / Real-Ice if you see "Custom driver" instead of "WinUSB driver" you instantly know that you MUST switch the driver using the driver switcher utility ;=)

As for Win8 / USB3 support it might be worth to read the release notes of Pickit3 which you'll find here : c:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\docs\
    Extract :

6.1      Software/Hardware Conflicts

Some applications, plug-ins or widgets may take control of, or interfere with, the system provided HID USB driver, which can cause problems communicating with the PICkit 3. If you cannot connect to the PICkit 3, review the Task Manager for these types of programs and close them.
    For more information, see forum posts:
    http://www.microchip.com/forums/m614572-p2.aspx
    http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/No-supported-devices-found/td-p/1856299/page/2

regards
    post edited by RISC - 2013/09/14 01:32:38
    tvaleriano
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2013/10/08 10:52:53 (permalink)
    Have you tried to update the pickit's firmware?
    microedit
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2013/10/09 01:05:07 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    don't forget to power the chip that is programmed by the pickit 3  either 5v or 3.3 v the ide gives this as one of the options at the pickit3 menus (as programmer or debugger) and it won't show a second device id unless you do so.  One is the pickit3 id the other is the device id on the microchip you want to program (even if it is a default one) 
    glatocha
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2013/10/09 06:26:46 (permalink)
    Hi,

My experience is that PICKit3 will not work if connected after the MPLABX was started. Maybe it is not all the time like this, but I am careful first to connect the PICKit3 to USB then start MPLABX.
    Other main possibility are mistakes on the board. If you just connect the PICKit3 without connecting to the board and the MPLABX shows you the serial number, then the problem lies on the board. (PICKIT3->pic connection) Check if all is connected, no short etc.
    Additionally you can try the standalone program (which no idea why is not linked in the PicKit3 page):
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/PICkit3%20Programmer%20Application%20v3.10.zip
    Careful as you need to change the firmware of the PICKit3 to use this tool, but the firmware is included and it is easy to use
    w02057
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2013/11/11 22:40:31 (permalink)
    I've too just been having the same problems, but I think I've solved it.

I had the idea of selecting the "revert to MPLAB mode" in the PICkit 3 standalone programming application, and after trying to connect to the PICkit 3 again from IPE it worked!

I'm using the latest PICkit 3 standalone application "PICkit3 Programmer App and Scripting Tool v3.10" available to download at http://www.microchip.com/...amp;redirects=archived (near the bottom of the page).
    After installing select Tools -> Revert to MPLAB mode, let it to it's thing, a message will appear saying it's been reverted successfully then clicking OK will close the app.
    If you then run IPE it should work, seems to be due to the fact that the PICkit is required to be in MPLAB mode for IPE to see it.

---System Info---
    Win 7 64 bit
    PICkit3 Programmer App and Scripting Tool v3.10
    MPLAB X IDE v1.95
    MPLAB X IPE v1.95
    PICkit 3 flashed with latest firmware (supplied in same directory as latest PICkit standalone app)

Hope this works for you guys.
    Ragwing
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2013/11/12 17:35:27 (permalink)
    I had the same problem. Kit purchased last week. Shipped with firmware 1.22.08. 

Tried same solutions including using the standalone programmer v3.01 to change to MPLAB mode. Didn't work. Additional symptom was that downloading through the first USB port on my machine would read the s/n but not even attempt a connection. Changed ports and the IDE would at least attempt to download the firmware but still would give error "Connection Failed".

Finally installed MPLAB IDE v8.92 and downloaded firmware v1.28.90. Then used MPLABX to download 01.29.33 (ref: http://www.microchip.com/...mp;redirects=archived)

Now the PICKIT 3 connects via all the USB ports.

post edited by Ragwing - 2013/11/12 17:38:48
    electronicelement
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2014/02/14 02:21:47 (permalink)
    I have also same problem using MPLABX 1.90 and pickit3 , connection failed is showed all morning for 2 o3 times since today, but usually i just restart mplabx or i reconnect device some times , but now dont want connect in any way more , the problem is with all pic family , i'm using windows 8.1 64 bit .

Cable checked : yes
    usb port : all type used
    PICk kit 3 failure ? ; no it's working stand alone in my notebook(also win 8.1 64bit)
    also when pickit3 was working i never showed SN but PID
    i tryed to download pick kit3 stand alone and revert in to mplab but cause problem with pickit2 , and i removed both stand alone forms.

I'm becoming crazy to fix this .

During the bug fixing (if bug is) i want just ask if i buy ICD3 it will work certainly ? someone have suggestions?

thanks in advance and please sorry for my English not so good.

Claudio
    justin.bauer
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2014/02/14 13:53:53 (permalink)
    In my experience, I am able to solve the "Connection Failed" message after I disconnect the PICkit 3 from the target. This only happens when the PICkit 3 is finished downloading the RS and then attempts to connect the target device.
    electronicelement
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Pickit 3 connection failed 2014/02/14 14:07:07 (permalink)
    Hi
    Same problem ,  i fixed it today getting MPLABX 2.0 ,SN showed and all is working properly like never seen before :)

Claudio
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5