MCHPBOARD

2012/07/01 06:07:54
Hi,

I am using a MRF24WB0MA module on a homemade board running the TCP demo aplication. Everything seems to work fine except when I try to access the MCHPBOARD web page from my Android smart phone connected to the same WiFi accesspoint. The phone immediately replies with "Web page not available". I can connect to the webpage fine with my phone if I use the IP adress instead of MCHPBOARD. I can connect to MCHPBOARD fine from two windows 7 computers, one connected with wire to the accesspoint (router) and the other connected over wifi. What could be the cause of this?`

/Ruben

trevor
Re:MCHPBOARD 2012/07/01 06:51:51
How do you think it will resolve MCHPBOARD when it is not a Windows device :)
HowardSchlunder
MCU16 Applications
Re:MCHPBOARD 2012/07/01 08:45:28
"MCHPBOARD" is a NetBIOS Name Service (NBNS) hostname, which is not Windows specific. It will resolve under Linux and other OSes too when NetBIOS is enabled. Similarly, it will fail to resolve on Windows when NetBIOS is disabled (either manually or via a DHCP server option).

Smartphones, given their lightweight and power conserving nature, most likely don't implement the legacy NetBIOS protocol at all (as opposed to being present, but disabled by default). However, I don't own a smartphone of any type, so I can't verify any smartphone comments that I make.

Smartphones likely do support multicast-DNS hostnames via the ZeroConf (Apple Bonjour) protocol. You would enable this type of hostname in the stack by enabling the STACK_USE_ZEROCONF_MDNS_SD option. Note, however, that this protocol will decorate your hostname. For example, instead of being "MCHPBOARD", it'll probably actually be "mchpboard.local". It'll also automatically append number decoration if you power up multiple devices that all want to be called "mchpboard".

If you wish to use both NBNS and ZeroConf names, one thing to keep in mind is that NBNS names must be 15 characters or less. Because ZeroConf will add the ".local" extension, the base name probably has to be 9 characters or less -- even shorter if number decoration could occur.
maxruben
Re:MCHPBOARD 2012/07/01 10:49:55
Thanks for the explanation.

I did enable the STACK_USE_ZEROCONF_MDNS_SD option and changed the name to WIFIBR and then the serial port output shows:
ZeroConf: Host = WIFIBR.local
ZeroConf: Service = DemoWebServer._http._tcp.local

However, this did not work either. I guess I just have to live with using the IP adress when using my phone. I probably will do a front end app that just launches my device web page via the IP adress which shouldn't change.  I am trying to make a device that will enable me to use my smartphone as a remotecontrol for various things in my home over WiFi using a http interface. The device also has a MRF24J40 radio (which is much cheaper than a MRF24WB0MA WiFi module) that will be used to talk to switches and sensors over radio. Let's just hope it doesn't interfere too much with the WiFi module.

/Ruben

Its me
Re:MCHPBOARD 2012/07/02 23:41:43
Ok so what is the answer? access with ip address? what is the ip address? documentation only says.... http://MCHPBOARD
HowardSchlunder
MCU16 Applications
Re:MCHPBOARD 2012/07/03 01:39:29
Accessing by IP address is the only method that will work on all networks, all operating systems, and in the absense of Internet access, regardless of what other protocols may or may not be installed on the client PC, Smartphone, etc.

For a default stack configuration, the IP address comes from your network's DHCP server, which is to say it could be anything. To discover what it is, you can use the "TCPIP Discoverer" tool, installed with the stack.