Helpful ReplyHot!PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
jpax
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2012/09/28 10:28:19 (permalink)
Installed MPLAB X (Windows XP SP3) and PICkit 3 no longer works -- it shows up with the serial number, so I selected that for the project, but trying to RUN gets Connection Failed.

Product Version: MPLAB X IDE v1.41
Java: 1.6.0_32; Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 20.7-b02
System: Windows XP version 5.1 running on x86; Cp1252; en_US (mplab)
Userdir: C:\Documents and Settings\Jay\Application Data\.mplab_ide\dev\v1.41

A very simple project builds successfully, but trying Debug Project gives:
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Loading completed
Connecting to programmer...
The programmer could not be started: Could not connect to tool hardware: PICkit3PlatformTool, com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.PICKit3Tool.PICkit3DbgToolManager
   and on the PICkit3 tab:
Connection Failed.
From the looks of it, this problem has been around since the beginning of time (for MPLAB X).  Is there seriously STILL no fix?  I can see this problem posted for literally years.  And I have the latest MPLAB X announced this month!

Can anyone help?
Jay
dezso
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2012/10/04 20:25:50 (permalink)
+1 (1)
JPAX absolutely right on this... isn't acceptable to wait over a year for a fix, I have should of read this before take Microchips advise and buy Pickit3 instead of Pickt2, due to unfortunate circumstances my PICkit2 no longer works [8D] so I ordered Pickit3, what a waste of money......
  • Total Posts : 80499
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2012/10/12 02:04:45 (permalink)
I agree, very poor support from Microchip ...
charon
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 32
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2012/10/12 15:02:02 (permalink)
Hi,

According to one of the stickied threads at the top of this forum section, the hardware tools sometimes have problems with USB 3.0 ports (and manufacturer's drivers).  I had the same connection problem with the PICkit 3 on my machine and was able to fix it by using a USB 2.x port.
post edited by charon - 2012/10/12 15:09:15
vflab
  • Total Posts : 85
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2012/12/14 15:32:23 (permalink)
THIS !
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/01/18 16:32:38 (permalink)
I had the exact same problem (MPLAB X says "Connection Failed" when trying to program, but it works fine if you boot Windows (7, 64-bit) into safe mode).  In my case, the offending application was Fierce3500Config.exe, which is started at boot up and shows in the tray-icon area.  It is for programming the Fierce 3500 Wireless Gaming mouse, and I guess makes the extra non-standard buttons work.
I believe I've read three other accounts of people with similar problems, and it seems that in each case the problem had to do with a piece of software that had something to do with a human-interface device (HID).  Since the PICkit 3 uses the standard Windows HID drivers, I think the process of elimination in the search for the offending application may be shortened if you first eliminate all non-windows processes that are associated with any non-generic peripherals.
This has been an incredible waste of time for me (2 days), and so I hope this information helps somebody else shorten the time!
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/01/20 05:23:51 (permalink)
I had exactly the problem with my new MPLAB-X installation on a pretty new Dell computer. I installed MPLABX then plugged in a new Pickit3. I got the same error message:
Connecting to programmer...
"The programmer could not be started: Could not connect to tool hardware: PICkit3PlatformTool, com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.PICkit3Tool.PICkit3DbgToolManager"

Thank you for the advice in the post above - it limited my delay for this problem to only 3-4 hours!
For others with the same problem - I went to the Task manager and ended the following processes:
accuweather.exe, Delldock.exe, IAStarIcon.exe, iTuneshelper.exe, RoxioBurnLauncher.exe, SynTPEnh.exe - Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements, SynTPHelper.exe, tbbMeter.exe, WebcamDell2.exe
Then I unplugged and replugged the Pickit3. When I tried to program a chip, the Pickit3 was recognized and the firmware updated and everything worked fine.
I rebooted the computer hoping that the update of the firmware might avoid any conflicts, but it didn't solve the problem.
In the end, I worked through each process in the Task manager, stopping it, unplugging and replugging the Pickit3 until finally I got MPLABX to recognise the pickit3.
It turned out to be the accuweather.exe process that caused the conflict.
So now I have to reboot, start MplabX, stop "accuweather.exe", plug in the pickit3 and it works!
It's really disappointing that Microchip haven't sorted this out yet! But thanks to the posters above and I hope this help further.

MHS
  • Total Posts : 352
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/01/21 09:17:54 (permalink)
Just curious with the accuweather solution, is the PICkit 3 on USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port? I have a similar problem but only on USB 3.0 but I don't have accuweather.
brockr0
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/02/24 13:56:23 (permalink)

I can confirm similar results to the two guest posts above. There appears to be a USB device or driver conflict that prevents MPLAB X from communicating with the PICkit 3. In my case it was with my generic USB keyboard. I now have everything working but have no way to confirm which of the steps I took are actually necessary.

The following is primarily for Microchip, I hope someone reads it, I wish to share my pain.
I bought a new PICkit 3 last week for use with MPLAB X. There was obviously a problem from the start as the status LED was always red. Tried to use the PICkit 3 in MPLAB X 1.51 and 1.6, and the IPE with the same "Connection Failed" error.
  • Tried switching ports as suggested above, status red, "Connection Failed".
  • Tried safe mode as suggested above, status red,  "Connection Failed".
  •  Reverted to MPLAB 8 where I had used a different PICkit 3 in the past and the new one was not detected.
  • Updated MPLAB 8 to 8.88 and the PICkit 3 was recognized, firmware loaded, but still did not program the PIC24 but the status led was no longer red.
  • Tried another design with a 16F887 that I've loaded hundreds of times, PICkit 3 firmware updated and device programmed successfully. Finally some progress.
  • Changed to PIC24, firmware updated and device programmed successfully. Real progress now.
  • Tried IPE with PIC24, firmware updated again, apparently requires different code than MPLAB 8, device programmed successfully.
  • Switched to MPLAB X, attempted to program PIC24, "Connection Failed".
  • Start disabling all usb devices until just mouse and keyboard are left. Disable keyboard, device programs successfully.

At this point, I do not think this is progress. I am feeling frustrated, dismayed, and outraged. To borrow a line, in what possible universe is it acceptable that my programmer/debugger only functions when my keyboard is disabled?! I resist the urge to introduce my 12 pound sledge hammer to the PICkit 3 and create some fine dust, for while that would be a very satisfying resolution, it would not be a satisfactory solution as I have work to do.

So I resume debugging my debugger. I have seen a PICkit 3 working with MPLAB X under normal conditions so I know it's possible. Many on this forum have posted that they have managed to get things working through a variety of trial and error methods.
  • I confirm I can only program with the PICkit 3 under MPLAB X with the keyboard disabled or unplugged.
  • Reboot with PICkit 3 plugged in, keyboard unplugged.
  • Program under MPLAB X no problem.
  • Plug in keyboard. It is NOT recognized!
  • Plug keyboard into a different port. Driver loaded, keyboard works, and I can program under MPLAB X.
  • Switch keyboard to usual port, everything still works.
  • Reboot. Everything still works.

So what happened there? I know nothing about usb driver and device registration under Windows 7 but some steps in that sequence clearly resolved the problem.

A final comment for Microchip. Please add a sticky post to this forum acknowledging that users may encounter usb problems with their PICkit 3, other than the usb 3.0 one already noted. At the very least include links to threads where people have found solutions so others do not waste hours or days trying to track down solutions to problems with a device that should work right out of the box.
mearvk
  • Total Posts : 92
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/02/24 14:09:29 (permalink)
Whenever I get this message I shut down the IDE and disconnect the USB cable and then restart.  Seems to work well enough.
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/03/13 11:16:31 (permalink)
I've exactly the same problem. Work fine in safe mode only. I can't solve this problem and apparently microchip forum is not going to help...
mearvk
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/03/13 11:58:30 (permalink)
Try opening a ticket on the MC website.  You have to create an account I think but they do get back to you.
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/03/13 18:06:20 (permalink)
Hi

I am getting a problem with  my pickit 3..it is saying connection failed
i am using an hp pavillion dv7
mearvk
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/03/13 20:28:00 (permalink)
Have you made sure:

1) You have the correct configuration settings?

2) You have the correct configuration settings selected?  

3) You have the correct PIC chip selected in your configuration settings?

4) Your PICkit 3 is selected to power the device?

Have you just encountered this problem or has it been going on for a long time?

Thanks.
chronart
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/06/08 13:55:22 (permalink)
I am on a MAC.  I was running MPLAB IDE 8 in Parallels.   I couldn't get the debug to step correctly, so just tried MPLAB X on the MAC, but was having the same problem as all of you.   After reading your comments I stopped Parallels which was just running in the background and not being used.  Pickit 3 connected in Debug.  Yea! 

Now I have to learn MPLAB X.  Oh well, one step at a time.  wink
dvdsosa
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/06/13 05:58:28 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Hi, I solved that using a powered usb hub by Belkin. Now I can connect successfully to pickit 3 using OS X 10.8.4, Macbook 13" Unibody Late 2008. So I think it's usb power related issues. Cheers.
labelman
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/06/25 15:43:01 (permalink)
I used a powered USB hub on my Windows 7 64-bit box as DVDSOSA recommended and the problem magically disappeared! Thanks!!!
nyengele
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/06/29 15:57:57 (permalink)
+1 (1)
The issue of using the PICkit3 programmer device with MPLAB comes down to the Programming Mode configured in the PICkit programmer device.

PICkit 3 can run in two modes: MPLAB mode and another mode used by the PICkit Software Utility (PICkit programmer Application)

When the PICkit 3 is used for the first time with the Software Utility, the device downloads an OS compatible with the programmer, then changes its operating mode from MPLAB mode to the utility software's compatible mode.

To use PICkit 3 with MPLAB IDE, the operating mode of the device has to be set to MPLAB mode.

To go back and forth between those two modes, you need to install the Software Utility ( PICkit programmer Application). This can be obtained at http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/PICkit3%200.2.0.3%20Setup.zip

Once you have the software utility installed, to set the MPLAB Mode:
 - Launch the software utility
 - Go to the "Tools" Menu
 - Click on the "Revert to MPLAB Mode" option

This will set the bootloader to run in a mode compatible with MPLAB IDE.

Similarly, to go back to the Software Utility mode:
 - Launch the Software Utility (if not launched yet)
 - Go to the "Tools" menu
 - Click on the "Download PICkit operating system" option

Try this and let me know if you're still having the same issue
paulscole
  • Total Posts : 15
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/12/11 07:28:40 (permalink)
I have started having this problem, Using MPLAB V1.95 with pickit 3, before windows 8 did the update to 8.1 it all worked fine, but now I get the connection failed error.
The build window says the programmer could not be started: could not connect to tool hardware: PICkit3PlatformTool, com.microchip.mplab.mdbcor.PICKit3Tool.PICkit3DbgToolManager
It isn't the pickit unit as I use the old mplad IDE for programming some older device and it works fine. I had used a work around, using my own program to program the Pickit3 using PK3CMD but now I can't get that to work as I am trying to use a newish pic chip 24EP256GP202 and it isn't listed under the old programming utilities.

I can not believe in nearly two years that a solution for this isn't available.
I have tried all the methods in previous posts without any luck. I tried the about option using the pickit3 software utility, but it didn't have the option to switch mode and the download operating system was grey out.

This is driving me mad as I have a deadline to work to,
bartt
  • Total Posts : 130
Re:PICKit 3 Connection Failed MPLAB X Could not connect to tool hardware 2013/12/11 09:39:18 (permalink)
Hi Paul-
You are suffering a USB driver problem. It probably got stepped on in the update...
If you are going thru a hub, go direct to the PC USB port.
If you have programs that play with the USB ports (like VirtualBox) try not starting them or killing them with ProcessExplorer (google it if you do not have it already).
If this fails bring up device manager and check the drivers and ports to see if the device is even recognized. You should be able to re-install the driver to get this working.
Hope it helps
Bart

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5