Helpful ReplyICD-3 and MPLAB-X Problem - Drivers?

Author
kimber2
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
2011/06/20 22:01:33 (permalink)

ICD-3 and MPLAB-X Problem - Drivers?

I was never able to get my PicKit2 to work with MPLAB-X (the fix listed in the "sticky" section of this forum did not work for me), and when I mentioned this at the Microchip booth at ESC Chicago they recommended I upgrade to PicKit3 or ICD-3. So, I bought an ICD-3, thinking it would be an upgrade in features as well as MPLAB-X compatibility. However, I cannot get MPLAB-X to work with the ICD-3. I was able to get it to work with MPLAB V8.50, (which I was not planning to use, but installed just to make sure the ICD-3 was working).

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on Intel Core i7 2600 processors.

In MPLAB-X I get an "Inactive Connection: ICD 3" message in the debug tool portion of the project environment.

I tried using the MPLAB Driver Switcher and got the following:

MCHPDDS64 Application Result: 2
ERROR: Unit not plugged in or invalid INF path
You may have changed the MPLAB install location during your last install.
Unless you manually specified the install location during your last install, please
select Advanced and then Use Default on the MPLAB X Driver INF File
location entry. You will need to select Apply All again thereafter.
ICD2 driver being setup for No Change. Please wait (this may take several minutes)...
PM3 driver being setup for No Change. Please wait (this may take several minutes)...
PIC32 SK driver being setup for No Change. Please wait (this may take several minutes)...
Apply All done

Following the instructions results in a repeat of the above error message.
The default file is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\Switcher\64Bit\winusb\amd64\MCHPWinUSBDevice.inf

and this file exists. I was unable to locate an alternative driver - either on my
computer or the Microchip web site. (I didn't expect amd to be part of the path).
And, yes, the ICD-3 is plugged in!Smile

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me!

theozed
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:ICD-3 and MPLAB-X Problem - Drivers? 2011/06/20 22:51:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
+2 (1)
When you run the driver switcher program try running it in administrative mode, ie right click on it and choose 'Run as administrator' when you start it.  I had the exact same troubles and found this worked for me.

I still have a few comms problems with the ICD3 though and have to unplug it from the USB to get it to reset it but it seems to work fine 95% of the time. This is in contrast to the PicKit 3 which I can only get to work if I have used it in MPLAB 8.7 first.
purple_bobby
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 43
Re:ICD-3 and MPLAB-X Problem - Drivers? 2011/06/21 01:52:12 (permalink)
In the Linux version, it gives a red icon and says the PICKit2 is inactive (with a PICKit 2) all the while until you actually debug the project (16F887), for me.
kimber2
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:ICD-3 and MPLAB-X Problem - Drivers? 2011/06/21 07:54:43 (permalink)
Thanks for the help - Administrative mode got the switcher to work without errors, and MPLAB-X can now see my ICD-3!
I changed the properties so it should always run as administrator from now on.

theozed

When you run the driver switcher program try running it in administrative mode, ie right click on it and choose 'Run as administrator' when you start it.  I had the exact same troubles and found this worked for me.

I still have a few comms problems with the ICD3 though and have to unplug it from the USB to get it to reset it but it seems to work fine 95% of the time. This is in contrast to the PicKit 3 which I can only get to work if I have used it in MPLAB 8.7 first.

gerahman
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:ICD-3 and MPLAB-X Problem - Drivers? 2011/06/21 10:53:08 (permalink)
Just checking out MPLAB X - looks promising but far from stable yet.

On a Dell Lattitude, it will only launch when "Run as administrator" - on normal Open, it vanishes instantly.
This is my present setup: Product Version: MPLAB X IDE Beta6.0 Java: 1.6.0_26; Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 20.1-b02
System: Windows 7 version 6.1 running on x86; Cp1252; en_IE (mplab) 

I'm using a very simple setup, a PIC18F452 target with mpasm(v5.40) - works ok on Simulator but no joy at all with ICD3, (which works perfectly well with MPLAB Ver 8.7).

I switched the ICD3 driver to MPLAB X using the switcher facility which now shows SN: JIT091395309 in the Project Properties window.

However when I try to debug project I get the following message
Launching
Could not acquire hardware tool communications resources: ICD3PlatformTool SN#JIT091395309
The debugger could not be started.  Terminating debug session.
User program finished

In the project environment window, for Debug Tool, I get
  • Inactive Connection: ICD 3: JIT091395309 

It looks to me to be a driver problem - no driver updates found on Microchip site.  I'm stuck. 

Suggestions most welcome

AlainRTC
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:ICD-3 and MPLAB-X Problem - Drivers? 2011/06/22 15:25:42 (permalink)
Hi,

Do you have a 64bit processor & WIN7 ?
If yes, launch the driver switcher with a right click, then "Run as administrator".
This should solve your issue ;=)

regards
  • Total Posts : 80499
Re:ICD-3 and MPLAB-X Problem - Drivers? 2011/06/22 15:41:42 (permalink)
AlainRTC

Hi,

Do you have a 64bit processor & WIN7 ?
If yes, launch the driver switcher with a right click, then "Run as administrator".
This should solve your issue ;=)

regards

Hello AlainRTC

No, its a 32bit processor but I did launch the switcher "as administrator" since my last message and after a struggle it found the ICD3 and worked fairly well. However, when MPLAB X was launched another time it initially failed to find ICD3 but when it was plugged out and back in again it came on - it's a real struggle. Thank you kindly for your help - a lot more work is needed on X.

gerahman
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5