(Solved) ICD3Err0040: The target device is not ready for debugging.

2011/02/03 10:58:46
Hi All,

I am new to Microchip world, but have lots of experience with other microcontrollers. Recently, I planned a low power design with Microchip microcontroller, so I bought a set of evaluation system which consists of ICD 3 and PIC 18 Explorer demo board.

Today, I tried to work with the debug function, but have no luck so far. MPLAB IDE always shows the following error message:
 ICD3Err0040: The target device is not ready for debugging. Please check your configuration bit settings and program the device before proceeding.

I am not using any customized target. Instead, I just debug the on-board PIC18F8722 (PIM is unplugged) of the PIC explorer demo board using the demo source code downloaded from Microchip (http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en535770). I did try to change configuration bits, but no luck either.

I am kind of stuck here now, please help me if you can guide me step by step what's need be done to successfully evaluate Microchip microcontroller.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

P.S. I tested the ICD 3 with the test interface board and it was a success. I also tried the PIM module coming with the demo board, it failed debugging in the same way.
post edited by cm2011 - 2011/02/04 06:55:51
vloki
always on da run
Re:ICD3Err0040: The target device is not ready for debugging. 2011/02/04 00:16:12
Hi Charles,
and welcome to the forum wink

The debug config bit should be handled automatically based on the selection of a programmer or a debugger.

You have to set the correct *Build Mode*. Did you ?
(RELEASE or DEBUG - DEBUG will add the code needed for debugging - view this & ...)
post edited by vloki - 2011/02/04 00:21:00
cm2011
Re:ICD3Err0040: The target device is not ready for debugging. 2011/02/04 06:26:35
Hi Vloki,

Thanks for your reply. I got it work now. Strange thing is I did exactly the same thing yesterday and it didn't work, but today it works fine at the very first try.

Thanks.