USB CDC Drivers under Windows 7 - Automatic Install

Author
magio
  • Total Posts : 2164
  • Reward points : 0
2010/12/07 07:22:07 (permalink)

USB CDC Drivers under Windows 7 - Automatic Install

Hi, I've searched the forum but I didn't find anything regarding this matter

I've been using Microchip CDC drivers in several projects under Windows XP and Windows Vista. 

Now the problem that I have is that the Windows 7 version that come to my hands want's to perform an automatic install of the usb cdc driver.

When I plug my device (it is a microchip 18f4550 based hardware) windows recognizes that there's a device plugged, automatically searches for the driver and fails the installation.

In previous windows version the driver installer "prompted" a question to search in windows update or in a user folder.  I always managed to get the driver installed with the second option, in fact our customers do that too, they search for the driver in the CD path and they do the installation smoothly.

This is not the case on windows 7 (at least with the version I have), the installation fails automatically without asking to search on a CD, USB or any other path.

If I go to device manager, the device is higlighted with an error , i click there and then I can choose where to get the drivers from and the installation completes ok.

So, this step do work but I want to know if there's a better way or an automatic way I can follow in order to install microchip driver properly.   I don't want the final user to follow complex steps for such a simple process as it was until windows 7.

Thanks in advance

Embedded Software and Hardware Development

6 Replies Related Threads

chinzei
    • Total Posts : 2250
    Re:USB CDC Drivers under Windows 7 - Automatic Install 2010/12/07 13:37:32 (permalink)

Three options,

a) Right-Click on the INF file, choose Install on the menu

Related tips

How can I install a .inf file from the command line?
    http://www.windowsitpro.c...the-command-line-.aspx

A. The normal method to install a .inf file is to right click on it and select Install from the context menu however it is also possible to install from the command line. The syntax is:

C:\> rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction DefaultInstall 128 .\<file>.inf

b) (Pre-)installer package
    Using MS DPInst, an installer package is created. InstallShield integrates driver and application installation. When the installer is distributed on a CD or DVD, autorun.inf launch the installer on insertion.

Creating a DPInst Installation Package
    http://msdn.microsoft.com...y/ff540184(VS.85).aspx

DIFx 2.1 Support on InstallShield
    http://www.flexerasoftwar...allshield/features.htm

c) Register the driver package on MS Windows Update server
    And then, the driver package is downloaded over internet, when the device is plugged in.

Distributing Drivers on Windows Update
    http://www.microsoft.com/...aintain/DrvUpdate.mspx

Tsuneo
    magio
    Re:USB CDC Drivers under Windows 7 - Automatic Install 2010/12/08 08:17:51 (permalink)
    Thanks Tsuneo, I'll try the steps you suggested.  I've created some software  installers but never a driver installer.

Thank you for your time Smile

xiaofan
    • Total Posts : 6247
    Re:USB CDC Drivers under Windows 7 - Automatic Install 2010/12/08 22:56:31 (permalink)
    I think this first option (to right click on an inf file and choose install" does not really work for drivers.

USB_Links and libusb
    DarioG
    Scheisse Menschen
    • Total Posts : 52256
    Re:USB CDC Drivers under Windows 7 - Automatic Install 2010/12/09 03:30:50 (permalink)
    I do think the same Xiaofan, though it was meant to...

Dario Greggio
    --
    Wouldn't it be wonderful, if you lost one son for every promise you don't keep?
    magio
    Re:USB CDC Drivers under Windows 7 - Automatic Install 2010/12/14 05:00:56 (permalink)
    xiaofan

I think this first option (to right click on an inf file and choose install" does not really work for drivers.

In fact... it didn't [:-]

I'm searching other options...

EvilBovine
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:USB CDC Drivers under Windows 7 - Automatic Install 2010/12/14 08:15:15 (permalink)
    FYI, there appears to be an example PC application (with source code in C#) in the latest MCHPFSUSB Framework that already does this.  See the "USB PC - Driver Management Tool" directory. 
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5