Hot!How do I solder microchip surface mount?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
zoneder
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
2007/04/15 12:56:25 (permalink)

How do I solder microchip surface mount?

How do people here work with smt chips from microchip
in terms of getting them into the form of a circuit.
Are there any companies who would prepare boards
for microchip ic's?

29 Replies Related Threads

dchisholm
    • Total Posts : 3805
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/15 14:06:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: zoneder

How do people here work with smt chips from microchip
    Very carefully.  And with adequate magnification.
    Are there any companies who would prepare boards for microchip ic's?
    By "prepare boards" do you mean "prepare a circuit layout for a Printed Wiring Board (PWB) from a schematic", or "etch and drill a PWB from a prepared design", or "mount and solder components to a PWB"?  In each case, there are many companies who will perform the task but they are usually NOT the same company for each of the 3 tasks.  Some of these companies advertise in trade publications like "Embedded Systems Design" or "Circuit Cellar".

Dale
    pdixon
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/15 14:14:40 (permalink)
    zoneder,
         0.05inch (=1.27mm) pitch surface mount chips, such as SOIC chips, are hand solderable with care using a fine tipped soldering iron, especially the "gull wing" type leads which don't fold under the chip.

Once the pitch gets below 1mm, hand soldering becomes difficult. I have heard of people using domestic ovens to solder the small pitch chips but I've had little success with this.

I have had some success with a hot air paint stripper mounted above the chip but it's so fiddley to get right that I ended up destroying as many boards as I got assembled and it was only good for small areas of surface mount devices.

You can also get pencil flame gas-powered soldering kits like these: 
          http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3887&C=Froogle&U=3887&T=Alias&MA=soldering%20iron%20and%20gas%20torch
          Using the hot air attachment, (not the direct flame!) can allow rows of fine pitched SMD pins to be soldered.

There are companies out there that assemble these things but one off it will cost you a lot.

I'd suggest doing prototypes in through hole chips and once the problems are sorted then change the package type and re-lay the PCB using the surface mount chips and get an outside PCB assembly company to do the assembly for you.

Paul.
    trudnai
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/15 15:26:51 (permalink)
    I agree with pdixon, however, it's depending of the volume of course. I've successfully soldering 10F202 and 0403 capacitors with 'standard' 1mm tip iron. The only problem was that the solder wire was too big (1mm) so I've just ordered a 0.5mm with low temp melting point. Unfortunately low temp always contains some leads and sometimes copper as well, but what can I do, I do not want to ruin the chip by overheating it.

With the domestic owen technique the weakest point is that you can't control the temperature very well which is the key for the success. If you get know your owen you may can use it but for sure ate the very beginning you will make some refuse material.

PCB assembly usually does not ask too much comparing how much time you would spend on soldeing it by hand, but for one or two components I would not use them (setup fees etc can be big).

Regards,
    Tamas
    pdixon
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/15 15:41:53 (permalink)
    trudnai,
            <<The only problem was that the solder wire was too big>>

Use solder paste instead. Spread a thin layer over the area of the pads on the PCB. Align your surface mount chip over the pads and then heat each pin with a dry, fine soldering iron bit or with hot air.

The solder paste close to the pins will melt and flow by surface tension to the pin/pad. The solder paste too far from the pins will remain unmelted and can be washed off afterwards.

It works reasonably well with a PCB which has a solder mask.

Paul.
    dubble
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/15 16:31:17 (permalink)
    See this video:
    http://www.cncdrive.com/smd_solder.avi

If you don't have an expensive hotair gun. You can use this alternative "home" method.
    But be carefull, don't overheat the IC. At the end, use some aceton cleaning on the PCB...
    AlFiTeC
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/15 17:57:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dubble
    But be carefull, don't overheat the IC. At the end, use some aceton cleaning on the PCB...

Nice video...
    only I would sugest isopropyl alchohol for cleaning... etanol works fine too and is less expensive and
    you can buy it anywhere but leaves some residues... acetone can be to agressive but I must admit that
    I have not tried it... components and silk screen should tolerate both alchohols as they are in all
    flux cleaning products...

if you have water based flux (which should be better) then hot water is good... I havent used it though...
    dchisholm
    • Total Posts : 3805
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/15 21:33:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pdixon

Use solder paste instead . . .
    Yes, solder paste is definitely good to use though more expensive and difficult to obtain (in small quantities) than wire solder.  Whichever type of solder you use, I think the trick is not to use too much.  And the "right amount" of solder is about half as much as you think is needed.  With solder paste it's easier to not use too much.  Sometimes, after soldering an IC, I'll place a strip of solder-wick braid over the whole row of pins and re-heat every joint to pick up the excess solder.  If cleanup is needed I use household spray-on cleaner ("Mr Clean", "Formula 409", or whatever is on special), a light scrubbing with a nylon-bristle "toothbrush", and rinse under running water.

But as I implied in my first response the most important tools for SMT soldering are a good magnifying bench lamp, and plenty of patience.  I use a standard Weller WTCP soldering station on SOIC-scale parts, and even on SSOP parts when I have enough patience to do a good job.

Dale
    leon_heller
    • Total Posts : 6411
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 00:18:13 (permalink)
    Drag soldering with a hoof tip works very well for fine-pitch devices. The key is to use plenty of gel flux.

Leon

Leon Heller
    G1HSM

trudnai
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 01:02:35 (permalink)
    dubble
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 05:05:45 (permalink)
    Aceton is easy to buy, women use them to clean the nail-paintings :) So you can buy it in any drug-store. I didn't see if it was too aggresive.
    post edited by dubble - 2007/04/16 05:21:38
    seoman
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 08:47:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dubble

Aceton is easy to buy, women use them to clean the nail-paintings :) So you can buy it in any drug-store. I didn't see if it was too aggresive.

aceton is very agressive.
    plastics dissolves in it.

AlFiTeC names the right solvents.
    isopropyl alchohol and etanol should be more easy to get, the are less toxic and less agressive.

electronics is fun if you know-how
    zoneder
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 08:53:27 (permalink)
    A list of companies?
    dubble
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 09:38:50 (permalink)
    Now I'm working at a company, which makes PCB machine soldering, but the MOQ is 10000 pcs. I think you don't need that quantity, do you?
    pdixon
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 09:55:24 (permalink)
    zoneder,
          <<A list of companies? >>

http://www.applegate.co.uk/elec/pselect/ps_1574.htm

Paul.
    Vine
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 11:35:21 (permalink)
    I use 1 part thinners to 10 parts of benzine as a good mixture to clean paste residue along with a tooth brush to scrub the relevant area. The thinners is there only to activate the dissolving process of the flux, while the benzine carries away the desolved flux, just do not smoke while doing this, and wear gloves, or else the benzine tends to dissolve the oils away from your skin, making it very dry. I have been using this for many years now and it works well. I have used water based fluxes, but if you forget to clean your boards, the flux residue has a low point of conductivity, and plays havoc with analogue circuitry, and if you do not dry your board quickly, and depending on the type of water you use, it could react with some component materials causing rust or white powder resideu due to chlorine reaction.
    zoneder
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 12:49:49 (permalink)
    What I need is someone who can solder a surface mount
    pic on a pcb. I will design the pcb with Eagle and send
    them a .brd file. There is no requirement for other components,
    since I will be attaching this pcb to a "mother" pcb which
    will contain all the other components which are required
    but in through hole. The problem is that the pic I want to use
    has no through hole version. I need initially just one, as a test
    of concept, then, I will need 100 initially.
    pdixon
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 15:22:14 (permalink)
    zoneder,
         what you probably need is a socket adapter.

e.g.the following ones do plcc sockets:
         http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+1001216&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=plcc&Ntx=

..and here are some for SOIC packages:
         http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+1001216&No=25&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=soic&Ntx=

Sockets for other package styles are also made.

They allow you to plug a surface mount chip into a socket and then plug that socket into a standard DIP socket on a standard through hole circuit board.

The advantage over a soldered version is that they are reusable for many chips over time so if you have an accident and destroy your chip, you don't have to go through the process of finding someone to do the soldering again.

I don't know if the above sockets suit your needs 'cos you haven't said which chip/package you're using.

Paul.
    dubble
    RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2007/04/16 15:49:22 (permalink)
    Hi,

To Zoneder: What is the package type of the PIC you're going to use?
    If it's SOIC, I think you don't have to worry about soldering, you can solder it yourself with a standard weller, just try it:)  SSOP and similar small packages are a bit harder to solder but after you soldered about 10 pieces, you will see it's not so hard as you thought before. See my video above, it's really not so difficult, I advice you to try it out yourself.
    Where are you located? If you are close to Hungary I can solder some pieces for you manually for free, if you like :)
    post edited by dubble - 2007/04/16 15:50:37
    wid3031
    • Total Posts : 3
    Flagged as Spam (3)
    Re: RE: How do I solder microchip surface mount? 2018/01/12 10:12:51 (permalink)
    pdixon
    zoneder,
        0.05inch (=1.27mm) pitch surface mount chips, such as SOIC chips, are hand solderable with care using a fine tipped soldering iron, especially the "gull wing" type leads which don't fold under the chip.

Once the pitch gets below 1mm, hand soldering becomes difficult. I have heard of people using domestic ovens to solder the small pitch chips but I've had little success with this.

I have had some success with a hot air paint stripper mounted above the chip but it's so fiddley to get right that I ended up destroying as many boards as I got assembled and it was only good for small areas of surface mount devices.

You can also get pencil flame gas-powered soldering kits like these: 
         http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3887&C=Froogle&U=3887&T=Alias&MA=soldering%20iron%20and%20gas%20torch
         Using the hot air attachment, (not the direct flame!) can allow rows of fine pitched SMD pins to be soldered.

There are companies out there that assemble these things but one off it will cost you a lot.

I'd suggest doing prototypes in through hole chips and once the problems are sorted then change the package type and re-lay the PCB using the surface mount chips and get an outside PCB assembly company to do the assembly for you.

Paul.

Yes, I cann suggest you a company for PCB Assembly. Try wellpcb. They will do the work for you easily.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.5