JDM Programmer not working - need help pls

Author
Glow
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
2007/03/03 06:24:56 (permalink)

JDM Programmer not working - need help pls

Hello

I tried starting with PIC programming a few days ago, but till now, I had not even luck in getting my JDM Programmer running.
The goal is working with the PIC 12F629. First, I tried to build the original JDM Programmer from the homepage: http://www.jdm.homepage.dk/newpic.htm
I´m pretty sure I made everything correct, but in ICProg I was not able burn a PIC successfully. I always get 3FFF as OSC value which is wrong.
Then I found another Homepage with an enhanced version of the JDM Programmer here: http://www.janson-soft.de/pic/pic.htm
So I went out, bought the parts and made that one, too. But again, I had the exact same problem. In the meanwhile, I tried 3 different PC´s, and 4 different Software´s to programm the PIC, all tries failed. I plugged the Programmer directly into the COM port without success.
The only thing I wonder now, if I need a special cable in order to run the JDM Programmer ? Do I need a Nullmodem cable ? Or should it work when plugged directly in the COM port ?
I hope anyone can help me, because right now, I´m really frustrated.

Regards,
Glow

11 Replies Related Threads

Olin Lathrop
    • Total Posts : 7463
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/03 07:30:26 (permalink)
    I had not even luck in getting my JDM Programmer running.

We hear this a lot.  These programmers are kludges at best and rely on unspecified parameters of PC serial ports.  These assumptions may have been largely true in the past, but are less and less valid on modern PCs and especially laptops.  Unless you value your time and hassle level at zero, these are the most expensive programmers out there.

The next significant step up is the Microchip PicKit2.  It is a bit of a kludge also because it won't work accross the full range of parameters of a compliant USB port, but it does work most of the time and is very low cost.  The next step up in a pure programmer is my USBProg.  It is designed to "just work" and is within spec over the full range of USB voltage and the like.

However if you're just starting with PICs, you should consider how you will debug your projects.  The simulator is a great tool, but sooner or later you will need to debug your project in the circuit.  The Microchip ICD2 is the best "first" tool for a new PIC developer if you can afford it.
    Glow
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/03 09:08:45 (permalink)
    Hi

Thx for your answer, but I can´t imagine that the programmer won´t work on three different PC´s (1 up-to-date, 1 Laptop PII 233, 1 some older Pentium machine) unless there is either something with the programmer, or the cable wrong.
    Do you know if I only need a normal seriell cable (which is just some kind of extension) or do I need a nullmodem cable ?
    Olin Lathrop
    • Total Posts : 7463
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/03 09:34:10 (permalink)
    Thx for your answer, but I can´t imagine that the programmer won´t work on three different PC´s (1 up-to-date, 1 Laptop PII 233, 1 some older Pentium machine) unless there is either something with the programmer, or the cable wrong.  Do you know if I only need a normal seriell cable (which is just some kind of extension) or do I need a nullmodem cable ?

As I said, these programmers are flaky.  Some people make them work, others don't.  Trying to do so is a waste of time in my opinion.
    leon_heller
    • Total Posts : 6411
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/03 10:42:28 (permalink)
    This one of mine worked OK, but I don't use it any more:

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller/pic.html

Leon

Leon Heller
    G1HSM

Glow
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/03 11:33:54 (permalink)
    This one looks pretty similar to mine. I still have the question if I do need a special cable or if it should work when I plug the programmer directly to the COM port ? I also heared that the programmer should not be connected to GND of the PC. Is that true ? And if yes, where should I solder the GND pad on the programmer board to ?
    Thanks for your answers.
    leon_heller
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/03 12:58:10 (permalink)
    I think mine worked OK when plugged directly into the serial port, but I can't swear to it. You need to check the connections. Mine is connected to ground via the DB-9 connector. It must be connected to Vcc on the programmer, BTW. My schematic is a lot easier to follow than the original JDM one, IMHO.

Leon

Leon Heller
    G1HSM

Glow
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/03 16:42:16 (permalink)
    Hmm...after some reading and messing around with my board, I´m pretty sure that it does not get enough voltage.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a possibility to add external voltage to my programmer ? (http://www.janson-soft.de/pic/pic.htm)
    I would really like to try it then. Thanks in advance.
    leon_heller
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/04 01:39:09 (permalink)
    Some laptops don't give enough voltage, but a desktop PC should be OK. You could try using an external supply.

Leon

Leon Heller
    G1HSM

izua
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/04 06:37:13 (permalink)
    I've built the enhanced version once, but it was able of programming 12C508. On another desktop, it hit about one-in-ten of the instructions on the 12F675. I've got myself an EDA ICD2 clone after that, which works wonderfully :)

I'm just dropping this message because I'd like to know how to build external supply for my JDM (just for the sake of DIY). The weird voltages in the parallel port always gave me a headache, and I'm not that good in electronics, either.
    jjmcd
    • Total Posts : 856
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/04 08:39:36 (permalink)

Hmm...after some reading and messing around with my board, I´m pretty sure that it does not get enough voltage.

Good catch ... that is a typical problem with the real simple ones. I always advise folks if they plan to build make sure the programmer uses an external supply. There are a hundred or so designs for simple programmers that use an external 13.8 volt supply. Try one of them. They are pretty much all equivalent. Some designs include a charge pump to generate Vpp, but they are more complex designs. I think it was back in the 386 days when you could get enough voltage from the serial port.

--McD
    Glow
    RE: JDM Programmer not working - need help pls 2007/03/04 10:18:40 (permalink)
    So, maybe someone can help me to add external power supply to my programmer ? Or do I need to build a new one from the scratch ?
    Here is the layout I used:

Maybe someone can modify the image with paint or something and can show me how I could add the external supply ? That would be really great :)
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5