Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC

2006/07/19 16:52:32
Hello.  I have no idea at all about programming chips.  I am good with building stuff though, not programming.  I want to program a chip for my Xbox controller, a rapid fire mod.  All it has to do is send a ground signal to one spot really fast.  I make this schematic and sell it(an of course use it):

What I need is a chip that thinks that that schematic is in it.  Dont suggest a 555 timer, because when I made that it was big, too big.  I used this schematic for the 555 timer:

So, can I program a chip for the first schematic?  Or even better, you help me(I mean you do it)?  Or can it even be done?  For inputs it would get a ground, and 5 volt.  For output it would need 2 switches, so four leads, and 2 other wires(left trigger and right trigger).  I dont think this can be done, but I no nothing about programing.  Thanks for any help.

Cody
violin
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/07/20 06:55:08
So, can I program a chip for the first schematic?  Or even better, you help me(I mean you do it)?  Or can it even be done?  For inputs it would get a ground, and 5 volt.  For output it would need 2 switches, so four leads, and 2 other wires(left trigger and right trigger).  I dont think this can be done, but I no nothing about programing.

Hi. Yes of course this can be done, but I’m not sure what you are asking of this forum. Is it that you want some one here to write a program for you intended application. Or you just want to know what microcontoller would be best for your application. If this is the case. I suggest you look at the 16f628(a). It is a popular device for small/medium applications like the one you’ve posted and it is basically a superseded device of the ever ex-popular 16f84/a where you will still find much learning material about. I hope this helps. Regards. Violin.

Just noticed you want an 8pin pic. Someone else here maybe suggest one for you. As I haven't used 8pin pic's before.
post edited by violin - 2006/07/20 07:12:20
Xboxplaya978
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/07/20 07:11:46
Ok, thanks.  I didnt know what forum to post this in.  How much would it cost for a programer?  Where would I go for help on making the program?
QTD
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/07/20 07:13:33
Microchip has many small cheap processors that can do what you want, and the program is not hard.
You have your email address blocked. If you want the software done for you, please email me, we can talk about it.
ray@quickturndesigns.com
DSchabel
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/07/20 07:28:06
ORIGINAL: Xboxplaya978

Hello.  I have no idea at all about programming chips.  I am good with building stuff though, not programming.  I want to program a chip for my Xbox controller, a rapid fire mod.  All it has to do is send a ground signal to one spot really fast.  I make this schematic and sell it(an of course use it):

What I need is a chip that thinks that that schematic is in it.  Dont suggest a 555 timer, because when I made that it was big, too big.  I used this schematic for the 555 timer:

I'm sort of confused - I think you've got an error in your 555 schematic.  in your discrete transisor schematic, you show both triggers coming off the transistor collectors.  For the 555 version, the left trigger is coming off of the emitter. 

Do you need an external transistor, or would the direct output from the PIC be sufficient? 

So, can I program a chip for the first schematic?  Or even better, you help me(I mean you do it)?  Or can it even be done?  For inputs it would get a ground, and 5 volt.  For output it would need 2 switches, so four leads, and 2 other wires(left trigger and right trigger).  I dont think this can be done, but I no nothing about programing.  Thanks for any help.

Cody

This looks like the perfect application for a 6-pin PIC10 series, for the ultimate in low size and cost.  A PIC10F200 is about $0.39 in large qty, and about $0.50 in lower quantities. 

Email or PM me if you'd like me to do some of the work. 
Coming up with some specifications of exactly how you'd like it to work would be helpful. 

Xboxplaya978
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/07/20 07:37:46
The 555 timer schematic wasnt made by me, I just put it on my site for reference.  I made it and it worked fine, but I didnt use it long and for all I know it could have been causing damage.  Thanks for the fast help.  Where can I get a programer?  Could I build my own programer(not the software, hardware). 
violin
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/07/20 09:26:00
Hi. Although ICD2 is the preferred programmer here by most. Myself included. It is not a cheap priced programmer. It is a Mid-ranged price programmer. However, if you do purchase one, you will probably be happy to stick with it forever. Ok. If you want to start off with a cheap one just to get the feel of the programming world. The Velleman K8048 may interest you. It comes in kit form. So is a great learning tool for the workings of a programmer and have footprints for 8/14/18 and 28pins microcontrollers and ICSP for the 40pin 16f877 can’t remember if the (a) one is included. That will need to be checked on. Although it doesn’t support a great number of pic’s and also the software is as no way as good as MPLAB. It is defiantly a good start if you are OK with a soldering iron and so, from your posts, I take it that you are. Others here I’m sure will have other suggestion to which programmer to go for. This is just my suggestion. Regards. Violin.

http://www.designnotes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=K8048&Category_Code=
post edited by violin - 2006/07/20 09:37:41
Xboxplaya978
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/07/20 09:45:09
Ok.  Thanks for the info on that.  I only have like $20(wasnt expecting to get much with that), so I dont think I will be getting a programmer for awhile.  I am only 15 so no one is hiring me, so i guess I will be stuck with soldering until I get some more money.  I am sure I will get a programer eventually, probably the ICD2.
DSchabel
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/07/20 10:03:57
ORIGINAL: Xboxplaya978

Ok.  Thanks for the info on that.  I only have like $20(wasnt expecting to get much with that), so I dont think I will be getting a programmer for awhile.  I am only 15 so no one is hiring me, so i guess I will be stuck with soldering until I get some more money.  I am sure I will get a programer eventually, probably the ICD2.

The ICD2 is great and all, but you can start with the PICkit 2 for $24.  If you want then to program the smallest part (if size is important to you), then you can use the PIC10F2xx in a 6-pin SOT package, but you'll need the programming adapter (part number AC163020 - $35 or $40 or so) to be able to program it. 
Edited to add: 
Whoops!  I was looking at the price for the demo board only.  The PICkit 2 is $50 for the starter kit, but DigiKey has it for $36. 
post edited by DSchabel - 2006/07/20 10:15:05
Xboxplaya978
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/08/05 19:06:06
Hey, Im back.  I have money now.  I have been saving for no reason(nothing to buy really), and now I want to buy a controller.  Any links to a good place for buying one?  I said I was looking for the ICD2 in my last post, so I will stick with that.  I checked ebay for them(pretty cheap there), but there were a couple different lookign ones so I didnt know which to go for.  Which out of this search would it be http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=ICD2&category0=
violin
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/08/07 05:08:49
Hi. The posted link are only ICD2 compatibles. I myself have no experience with any of them, so myself am unable to give any advice over them. Sorry. Regards. Violin. 

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/51264B.pdf
post edited by violin - 2006/08/07 05:11:43
bkil
RE: Astable multivibrator in an 8 pin PIC 2006/08/07 12:12:43
Dear Xbobplaya978,

While deciding for your programmer of choice you could build yourself an RCD programmer out of a couple of bucks, as if it doesn't work out, you can't lose more than a couple of bucks anyway. wink
I myself have successfully programmed PIC12F675's and PIC16F870's with it, and it should also support the PIC12F50x and the 10f20x.
Depending on your soldering skilles, you could opt for a PIC10F200 in a SOT23-6 (or DIP-8) package as DSchabel suggested, or a PIC12F508 (similar to a PIC10F204 but with more pins) in a 150 mil SOIC-8 (or DIP-8) package. You can either program them in an adaptor before soldering or in-circuit anytime using a 5 pin header (after applying careful pin assignment).

Here is a link to help others in assistance: http://cparsell.googlepages.com/dualburstmod.

Regards,
bkil