LockedCheckSum error from PICALLW when importing hex

2006/03/07 12:17:59
Using MPLAB IDE 7.30. When I try to use a .hex file to program a pic (16F84A) I get an error message "checksum error in objfile". I have successfully used the same 7.30 IDE program to program a pic with no problems. The same problem occurs when I save to a flash drive or to a CD ROM. Do I have an IDE problem or a computer problem??
post edited by KajitaJ2 - 2006/03/10 09:14:37
Developer Moderator
RE: CheckSum error 2006/03/07 15:05:29
Hello,

Would you please describe your problem is better detail?  Are you saying that selecting a program icon results in an error message about a checksum error in objfile?  What programmer is selected?  Where is the error reported?  Output window?  Popup dialog?  Programmer display?  What keystrokes/mouse clicks result in the error?

Be well,

dg

ORIGINAL: shipleydon

Using MPLAB IDE 7.30. When I try to use a .hex file to program a pic (16F84A) I get an error message "checksum error in objfile". I have successfully used the same 7.30 IDE program to program a pic with no problems. The same problem occurs when I save to a flash drive or to a CD ROM. Do I have an IDE problem or a computer problem??

RE: CheckSum error 2006/03/08 13:26:31
dg,
I do not get the error until I try to set up to program a pic. I use PICALLW for the program to create the PIC burn file. The error pops up when I try to program the PIC. I get no indication of any error when I create the .HEX file using MPLAB IDE v7.30. 
 Regardless of the method I currently use to save a new .HEX file (3 1/2 floppy; CD ROM; or Flash Drive), I get the error when I try to create the PIC burn file. I have tried an old .HEX file and it programs the PIC OK using PICALLW. I have run the PICALLW program on this (HP Pavilion)computer, using the .HEX file without the neccessity to save it to any medium and I get the same error result.
I use an HP Pavilion (XP) and MPLAB IDE (7.30) to create the .HEX file, then transfer the .HEX file to an IBM (WIN98SE) and using PICALLW try to create a burn file, this sequence has worked in the past.
Thanks, Don
JasonK
RE: CheckSum error 2006/03/08 15:10:42
Don,

I'm guessing that the PICCALLW software doesn't like one of the line checksums in the hex file.  Each line in the hex file (a hex file is just a text file) contains a checksum for that line.  Have you tried importing the hex file back into MPLAB IDE?

Is the old .HEX file INHX32 or INHX8M?  What about the new hex file?  Maybe the PICCALLW software supports only one of the formats.

I doubt the problem is caused by the storage medium.
RE: CheckSum error 2006/03/09 14:50:39
Jason,
<Have you tried importing the hex file back into MLAB IDE>
No, I don't know how to import it back into MPLAB IDE. Since I can't program a pic. I can't use the pic to read the file into MLAB IDE.

<I'm guessing that the PICALLW software doesn't like one of the line checksums in the hex file>
I also believe one of the checksums in the hex file is incorrect I have tried to decypher the checksum byte. I believe that it is the compliment of the sum of the other bytes in the line, but not being a digital engineer, I don't know how to do that.

<Is the old hex file INHX32 or INHX8M?>
I don't know how to determine if the hex files are INHX32 or INHX8M file types.

For your info I have attached a hex file, it is titled "test_1_29.txt" and was created on 1/29/05 and it continues to work fine.  I changed the extension (.txt) so I could upload it as a file.  In another post I will attach a file of  a .hex file titled "Apogee Counter16F84_54new.hex" again I will change the extension to .txt so I can attach it as a file. It was created on  3/8/06.
I have a friend who has the same set-up as I do and he has hjad no problems.
Don'
 (look for additional post).
DEKTRON
RE: CheckSum error 2006/03/09 16:16:37
Don,

>I don't know how to import it back into MPLAB IDE. Since I can't program a pic. I can't use the pic to read the file into MLAB IDE.

You can import any hex file into MPLAB using file>import. Then view>program memory to see the data. You should set the device to match the PIC type first.

>I don't know how to determine if the hex files are INHX32 or INHX8M file types.

After you build the project in MPLAB you can select File>Export there is a window where you can choose the file format for the .hex file and also the memory spaces that are stored in the .hex, you might try switching off the ID bytes and config bits, to make a hex file containing only the program memory, see if your programmer will read that? Some third party programmers expect only the program in the hex file they do not read the hex file if there is additional data, config bits, EEPROM memory, etc mapped into the hex file -Phil.

RE: CheckSum error 2006/03/09 18:12:57
Jason,
Attached is the second .hex file which does not work.
Don
RE: CheckSum error 2006/03/09 18:23:48
Jason and Dektron,
The atachments did not work!!!!!! and I don't want to go to the trouble of typing in the .hex files in the body of the posted message. So it would appear that I cannot send a copy of the .hex files. Will review the contents of your post, Dektron, and go from there.
Don
JasonK
RE: CheckSum error 2006/03/10 09:05:38
The attachments seem to have worked ok, but I haven't had a chance to look into the reported hex-file problem yet.
DEKTRON
RE: CheckSum error 2006/03/10 16:12:40
Yep I agree the hex file is corrupt MPLAB won't import it either. So the problem does not seem to be the programmer.

Suggestion - file>export the .hex from MPLAB then immediately in MPLAB try file>import it again. The file>import checks the checksum on each line as it rads it in. If that imports it without an error then go through the process of moving the file to the programmer again. At some stage the file is getting corrupted.