Hot!MPLAB-X under Ubuntu 18

Author
HackInBlack
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
2018/06/13 06:23:00 (permalink)

MPLAB-X under Ubuntu 18

i am having real problems in the terminal getting the .sh file from the microchip download to work .
No matter what i type it says 'no such file'; i have tried following the sequence  in 'Installing MPLAB® X IDE - Developer Help.html' and can't get it to work.
text output from 'terminal' is here:-

hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ ls
'MPLAB X 4.20'
hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ cd/Documents/Microchip/MPLAB-X-v4.20
bash: cd/Documents/Microchip/MPLAB-X-v4.20: No such file or directory
hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ cd/Documents/Microchip/MPLAB X 4.20
bash: cd/Documents/Microchip/MPLAB: No such file or directory
'MPLAB X 4.20'
hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ cd/MPLAB X 4.20
bash: cd/MPLAB: No such file or directory
hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ cd Documents/Microchip/MPLAB X 4.20
bash: cd: too many arguments
hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ pwd
/home/hackinblack/Documents/Microchip
'MPLAB X 4.20'
hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ chmod u+x Microchip/MPLABX-vX.XX-linux-installer.sh
chmod: cannot access 'Microchip/MPLABX-vX.XX-linux-installer.sh': No such file or directory
hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ chmod u+x /MPLAB-X-4.20/MPLABX-vX.XX-linux-installer.sh
chmod: cannot access '/MPLAB-X-4.20/MPLABX-vX.XX-linux-installer.sh': No such file or directory
hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ sudo ./MPLABX-v4.20-linux-installer.sh
[sudo] password for hackinblack:
sudo: ./MPLABX-v4.20-linux-installer.sh: command not found

i realize i am probably making a beginners error (i have only just installed Ubuntu on an old PC after my newest win10 PC blew its motherboard;the new install is on the 2Tb HDD i had installed on the win10 PC 2 months previously..) i decided that win7 was without a future,and win10 was something to avoid at all costs!hence the re-return to linux...

1 Reply Related Threads

davekw7x
    Entropy++
    • Total Posts : 1432
    • Reward points : 0
    Re: MPLAB-X under Ubuntu 18 2018/06/13 09:41:06 (permalink)
    +1 (1)

HackinBlack
    'MPLAB X 4.20'
    hackinblack@hackinblack-OptiPlex-760:~/Documents/Microchip$ cd/Documents/Microchip/MPLAB-X-v4.20

1. You didn't leave a space after the "cd" to indicate that cd is a command and the rest of the stuff is the name of the directory you want to change to

2. If you go back and leave a space after the "cd" you are trying to change into a directory whose name is different from what it showed you:

The directory name is "MPLAB X 4.20" but you are trying to cd into "MPLAB-X-4.20"

Note that, for purposes of illustration I have put quote marks around the file name.

However, if your directory name has embedded spaces, and you really like to type,  you can put quote marks around the name on the command line.  For example

[dave@staritx3 Microchip]$ ls
    MPLAB X 4.20
    [dave@staritx3 Microchip]$ cd "MPLAB X 4.20"
    [dave@staritx3 MPLAB X 4.20]$

A couple of alternatives for people who don't like to type a bunch of extra stuff:

If there are no other files or directory in your Current Working Directory, just
    use the Operating System's command completion feature

Type cd, then hit the space bar and the tab key. Here's what works for me when I do this

[dave@staritx3 Microchip]$cd MPLAB\ X\ 4.20/

It has entered the directory name for me.  Note that spaces are escaped by backslashes.
    Note further that, instead of putting quote marks around the entire directory name, you could have escaped the spaces yourself

MPLAB X 4.20
    [dave@staritx3 Microchip]$ cd MPLAB\ X\ 4.20

If you have more than one file or directory name in the current working directory, then type cd and the space bar

Then enter as many characters as you need to disambiguate the name. For example, I now have a file in the Microchip directory named narrative.txt.

MPLAB X 4.20  narrative.txt

Then I type cd, hit the space bar and M and the tab key and I get

[dave@staritx3 Microchip]$ cd MPLAB\ X\ 4.20/

Final note: If you are creating directories or files, you won't have to worry about quote marks or backslashed spaces if you simply create names without spaces or other special characters. It may be that some installation programs from Windows-centric propagators might have spaces or other special characters like '(' and ')' and it may be possible to rename them (either during or after installation) so that command line stuff will be easier.

Regards,

Dave
    Footnote: You might want to invest 30 minutes or so in finding and going through a tutorial or other basic explanation of the Linux Command Line in one of the gazillion web sites that feature such things.  Might save some time and consternation for future issues.
    post edited by davekw7x - 2018/06/13 11:09:48

Sometimes I just can't help myself...
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5