Hot!Datasheet for PIC18F2553

Author
gurksallad
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
2018/04/16 05:51:50 (permalink)

Datasheet for PIC18F2553

This is my first try at the 18F-family.

When I download the datasheet for 18F2553, I get a 46 page pdf-file describing only the pinout, electrical characteristics and the A/D-converter. What about all the other information, like PORTA, Timers, crystal selection, etc that's in every PIC16F-datasheet?

3 Replies Related Threads

mbrowning
    Just a Member
    • Total Posts : 930
    Re: Datasheet for PIC18F2553 2018/04/16 06:14:53 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Note on first page

Note:This document is supplemented by

the “PIC18F2455/2550/4455/4550 Data
    Sheet” (DS39632). See Section 1.0
    “Device Overview”.

which says it only documents that which is different.

And why start with such an old part?

Can't remember. I've slept since then - Mark
    gurksallad
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Datasheet for PIC18F2553 2018/04/16 06:53:29 (permalink)
    Thanks. Why isn't there a link to that document from the chip-page at https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/PIC18F2553 ?

And the reason I start with such an old chip is simply because it has the feature I want to play with (USB) and I got it for free along with the PIC18 tinkering board I bought off of Ebay. I also peeked MAPS and selected USB-devices that are 28-pin and 8-bit, and there I found that 18F2553 is one of only 17 devices listed.

Old or not, it's still in production so I really don't bother about it. It's just for a starter anyway, to get a grasp of the 18F-environment from a 16F-user's perspective.
    davekw7x
    Entropy++
    • Total Posts : 1405
    Re: Datasheet for PIC18F2553 2018/04/16 07:59:44 (permalink)
    So, it is a detective story.  (Note that, despite my cryptic screen name, I am actually the world's greatest detective, Hercule Poirot.)

I hope that the following clues suggest a plan for using your "little gray cells" to solve your problem.  I start with the first clue, gleaned from your data sheet and articulated by mbrowing.  Most of the remaining clues would be obvious to any motivated party, once you get started.  I give additional help with one link that might be difficult to come by for any other than the world's second-greatest or third-greatest detective.
    1. Get the Data Sheet for the PIC18F4550.
    2. Download and install the current version of MLA (Microchip Libraries for Applications).
    3. Look under the MLA distribution apps/usb/device directory for projects that have firmware directories for the picdem_fs_usb board.  (This is the old FSUSB board that has a PIC18F4550.)  For example:
            v2017_03_06/apps/usb/device/cdc_basic/firmware/picdem_fs_usb.x
    4. Make sure that you can build that unmodified project under MPLABX.  I suggest that you start with the latest version of XC8.
    5. Find the Microchip web page for the old FSUSB board and download the documentation. 
      [Edit]
      Heck,  I'll give it to you:
         Old FSUSB Board User's Guide
      [/Edit]
      Look at the schematic to see how its connections are used in the MPLABX project.  Study the code and see if the USB parts make sense.
    6. Create a new project (or, maybe modify the one you started with) and make changes to take into account the differences between the PICDEM board and your Tinkerer's Special.
    From this point, the story has transmogrified from the level of a classical Hercule Poirot mystery to a brand new Car Chase/Big Explosion Action story.  Not quite on the level of Mission Impossible, but it can be exciting.

If you have problems:
    I think that it is very possible that you won't get much direct help for your particular chip, but if you have any general questions, you can post specific details about your progress and specific questions about what the sticking point is.

Enjoy your adventure!

Regards,

Dave

Sometimes I just can't help myself...
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.5