Hot!Reading EEPROM with ICD3?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jim Nickerson
User 452 _
  • Total Posts : 4649
  • Reward points : 0
Re: Reading EEPROM with ICD3? 2018/03/13 09:58:51 (permalink)
+2 (2)
post to stop blinking page due to missing/filtered post
Ken_Pergola
  • Total Posts : 2102
Re: Reading EEPROM with ICD3? 2018/03/13 12:39:07 (permalink)
+1 (1)
SpokaneNexus
...Thank you so much for initiating that internally! I suspect that carries a lot more weight than an external request. Given that you're doing that, does it still make sense for me to follow your advice and "suggest this feature to be added to MPLAB X IDE"? Or is that redundant now that you're doing it internally?...

Hello SpokaneNexus,

It is my pleasure -- you are very welcome. I wrote the enhancement request and logged it into our system.

I feel that customers definitely have more weight and it definitely would not hurt if you contacted Microchip to indicate how useful this feature would be to you. I don't have any (managerial) control as to when (or if) the feature will be added to MPLAB X IDE so that is why I feel the customers' voice is very important to be heard from.

It is a 'high-value target' debug feature that adds a lot of value in my opinion. Since the Debug Executive is shared among all tools that support target debugging (old and new), all tools can potentially benefit by this feature. 

I thank you as well for voicing your frustration in these Forums -- I'm glad I saw this thread!

Best regards,

Ken

P.S. SpokaneNexus, out of curiosity, may I ask you a question?:

Besides Debug Mode Reads of flash memory and Data EEPROM, would you find any beneficial value having Debug Mode Read capability for these additionally memory areas?:

1) User IDs
2) Configurations Words
3) Device Information Area (DIA) memory (if exists on MCU)
4) Device Configuration Information (DCI) memory (if exists on MCU)

Edit: DIA/DCI acronym corrections.
post edited by Ken_Pergola - 2018/03/13 15:44:43
SpokaneNexus
  • Total Posts : 377
Re: Reading EEPROM with ICD3? 2018/03/13 12:47:37 (permalink)
Ken_PergolaIt is my pleasure -- you are very welcome. I wrote the enhancement request and logged it into our system.

Excellent, thank you! And thank you for taking an interest in, and action on, this thread.

I feel that customers definitely have more weight and it definitely would not hurt if you contacted Microchip to indicate how useful this feature would be to you. I don't have any (managerial) control as to when (or if) the feature will be added to MPLAB X IDE so that is why I feel the customers' voice is very important to be heard from.  It is a 'high-value target' debug feature that adds a lot of value in my opinion. Since the Debug Executive is shared among all tools that support target debugging (old and new), all tools can potentially benefit by this feature.

I will definitely do so!

I thank you as well for voicing your frustration in these Forums -- I'm glad I saw this thread!

So am I, and I suspect others here are thankful you jumped in. I agree this would be of enormous benefit to anyone working with on-chip EEPROM.
Besides Debug Mode Reads of flash memory and Data EEPROM, would you find any beneficial value having Debug Mode Read capability for these additionally memory areas?

1) User IDs
2) Configurations Words
3) Device Information Memory (DIA) memory (if exists on MCU)
4) Device Configuration Memory (DCI) memory (if exists on MCU)

Speaking only for me personally, I would find value in 2-4. I haven't run into a need for #1 (yet!). Recognizing that the ICD has limited resources and thus we have to prioritize, I'd choose 1) EEPROM, 2) DIA, 3) DCI, 4) Configuration words, and 5) User ID's, in descending order of preference.

Thanks again!
post edited by SpokaneNexus - 2018/03/13 12:48:43
Ken_Pergola
  • Total Posts : 2102
Re: Reading EEPROM with ICD3? 2018/03/13 15:46:35 (permalink)
SpokaneNexus
...Speaking only for me personally, I would find value in 2-4. I haven't run into a need for #1 (yet!). Recognizing that the ICD has limited resources and thus we have to prioritize, I'd choose 1) EEPROM, 2) DIA, 3) DCI, 4) Configuration words, and 5) User ID's, in descending order of preference...

Thanks very much SpokaneNexus for your time and for providing your input -- it is appreciated!
SpokaneNexus
  • Total Posts : 377
Re: Reading EEPROM with ICD3? 2018/03/15 13:39:01 (permalink)
FYI, as promised I've initiated a case on this topic. Labeled it "non-critical" so as not to abuse the system, but at least it's in there. I included a link to this thread so they can see that I'm not the only one interested.

Thanks!
frikkiemarais
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Reading EEPROM with ICD3? 2018/05/11 00:05:35 (permalink)
Hello Spokane

MPLAB-IDE and MPLAB-X does not automatically update the EEPROM window to the best of my knowledge.

I always had to do a read in order to update the EEPROM window, after hitting a break point or pausing the debbugger.

Regards,
Frikkie.

qɥb
Monolothic Member
  • Total Posts : 2419
Re: Reading EEPROM with ICD3? 2018/05/11 00:11:55 (permalink)
The OP is aware of that.
The issue is that you cannot presently do an EEPROM read without breaking the current debug session.

PicForum "it just works"
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5