Hot!FreeRTOS with PIC32MK

Author
RobL12
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
2017/12/21 07:04:42 (permalink)

FreeRTOS with PIC32MK

I'm curious whether anyone has had success with FreeRTOS on the PIC32MK family?

The PIC32MK datasheet states that it supports FreeRTOS, but when I created a base project in Harmony (2.04), I had build errors...
For example, the template files do not include any mention of the PIC32MK so there are things that are left undefined.
I went through and added a few references to the template files, duplicating the selections of the PIC32MZ (since they share the microAptiv core).  
To maintain directory consistency I also created a .../FreeRTOS/Source/Portable/MPLAB/PIC32MK directory copying the source from the PIC32MZ.  These choices allowed the system to build and boot, but I am concerned that there might by subtle differences between the MK and MZ that will cause problems down the road.  I don't know enough about the family differences to know for certain.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 Reply Related Threads

RobL12
    • Total Posts : 16
    • Reward points : 0
    Re: FreeRTOS with PIC32MK 2018/02/14 05:48:27 (permalink)
    4 (1)
    Just in case anyone was interested, here is the response from Microchip on this issue.

Rob,

The port from MZ to MK should be straightforward. MZ and MK are essentially the same core, just cached versus cache-less.

FreeRTOS is now owned by Amazon and is now part of AWS. Wittenstein (original vendor for FreeRTOS) isn’t directly supporting new core architectures, rather, it is dictated by Amazon.

However, as mentioned above, it should just compile and run without too much issue right from the MZ version. However, Microchip has not tested.

Regards,
    Microchip Support Team
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5