Hot!cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Matt.AU
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Re: cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term 2017/07/17 17:37:10 (permalink)
Thanks for your reply.

I think the driver was not installed properly. I tried to install myself from "my computer>Device Manager".

There is an item "MCP2221 USB-I2C/UART Combo" and I right clicked, select Update driver software> Browse my computer for driver software>...>inf (folder). However, it said Window was unable to install your MCP2221 USB-I2C/UART Combo. It is I cannot install it.

Any ideas? Thanks.
RISC
  • Total Posts : 4742
Re: cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term 2017/07/18 01:02:57 (permalink)
3.5 (2)
Matt,
You are totally confusing the original subject...
COM_PORT Harmony project is about using internal USB as USB device to connect to USB HOST.
You are trying to play with the UART to USB bridge...
It is not what the original thread is discussing...
Just use the MCP2221 driver installer for windows on this page 
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/MCP2221
Regards

Matt.AU
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term 2017/07/19 21:06:04 (permalink)
Thanks RISC.

I found the mistake. It works now.
Jason Watton
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term 2017/08/03 15:37:09 (permalink)
Hi Steve...

Thanks for trying this. This is exactly the sort of confirmation I need, although sadly I've still got to work out why it doesn't work for me here.

... I only sporadically checked the CDC connection through a simple .NET serial port terminal program I use (Based on 'Termie').

By 'sporadically' does that mean you keep disconnecting (closing the COM port) rather than leaving the COM port open for a prolonged time?

Tonight when I go to bed, I will leave it on and see if it is still connected in the AM, stand by....

I am leaving the terminal program open for the whole duration; the COM port does not disappear (in Control Panel) but the comms is lost - I get a dead/orphaned connection.

Can you tell me the version of Harmony you are using? I will try and reproduce your setup as close as I can to see if I can get the same result.

Thanks!
Jason.
post edited by Jason Watton - 2017/08/03 15:40:40
Jason Watton
Re: cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term 2017/08/04 04:03:57 (permalink)
Thanks for the theory and possible explanation...

Tez...
You are trying this with console program. When you see that the demo is not replying, could you try restarting the console program, specifically to check if the COM port is still visible to the console program?

Yes, the COM port is still visible to the console program. Re-opening the COM port does not fix the issue - no comms occurs.

RISC...
I cannot reproduce the issue you see.
I doubt that there is a difference between this version of Harmony and the previous ones regarding com_port project. It has always worked with me since early versions.

Can you tell me the version of Harmony you use error-free? I can then at least try it, and possibly eliminate it as a cause.
Is your board connected directly to one of your PC USB ports ?

Yes.
Did you try several USB ports ?

No.
Maybe you want to try another PC ?

I don't really want to. I will try other ports, and other PCs, but it will cause problems selling these PIC32-based products if it works on "some PCs" but not on others.

Tez - The COM port does not disappear from the system; it is still present. However, the connection to the COM port - which has been left open for a prolonged period of time in a terminal emulator - is dead/orphaned - no characters are seen if you type, and nothing seen if you press the demo board switch [possibly in keeping with the loss of the bulk in endpoint...]. Quitting the terminal emulator (closing the port) and re-opening the port does not fix the problem. Only pulling out the USB plug, plugging it back in, and re-opening the port (in software) does.
post edited by Jason Watton - 2017/08/04 04:23:32
RISC
  • Total Posts : 4742
Re: cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term 2017/08/04 15:05:19 (permalink)
Hi,
I'm using Harmony v2.03b but I'm quite sure I will get similar results with older versions of Harmony.
I personally use Tera Term but any any other terminal software should give the same result.
Regards

Tez
  • Total Posts : 469
Re: cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term 2017/08/09 11:29:29 (permalink)
3 (1)
I would try this with another set of PIC32 hardware to eliminate any issues with hardware. I still think this is a USB host issue. Do you have access to USB analyzer? If you do, could you please try out the exercise. We really need to know what is going on on the bus.
LostInSpace
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term 2017/08/11 08:57:43 (permalink)
3 (1)
Jason - I apologize greatly! - I only saw your further questions now - Sorry.

>>>>>By 'sporadically' does that mean you keep disconnecting (closing the COM port) rather than leaving the COM port open for a prolonged time?

[LostInSpace] I left the COM port open the whole time. 'Sporadically' meant that every few minutes I typed something into the Terminal program to make sure that the link was still functioning.

>>>>>>I am leaving the terminal program open for the whole duration; the COM port does not disappear (in Control Panel) but the comms is lost - I get a dead/orphaned connection.

[LostInSpace] Same thing - Terminal program open the whole time - My system did not loose the connection.

>>>>>>>Can you tell me the version of Harmony you are using? I will try and reproduce your setup as close as I can to see if I can get the same result.

I am using Harmony 1.11
Jason Watton
Re: cdc_com_port_single example loses comms long-term 2017/08/18 03:23:59 (permalink)
Thank you, LostInSpace.

This is extremely helpful... exactly what I was after...!!! Your help is massively appreciated. Thank you.

Jason.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5